Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A guy came into the gun club last week and dropped off about 300 Winchester 12 gauge shells. They are all paper, in great shape, marked Winchester Ranger. I cut a few open, in some it looks like the lead shot is oxidized, still solid, but darkened. The others look like they were manufactured yesterday.

He also dropped off about 500 Federal #7.5 and #8. Some of these looked reloaded so instead of chancing an overcharged round, I cut them all open and poured the shot into a coffee can. Ended up with about 25lbs of shot!

Think it would be safe to shoot these paper shells in a modern shotgun or should I harvest the lead? A little more difficult cutting these open because of the paper/felt in the hull.

· Registered
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Decided to save the paper hulls. As for the others, after 3 days of cutting with a pvc pipe cutter, I finally finished. One last question....

Any chance of oxidation/lead dioxide/monoxide shot inside of a windjammer wad damaging a barrel?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.