1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
8,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Randy713
(4/24/03 6:20:22 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del All Parker Bros shotgun
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I need some advice on an old Parker, I'm working towards selling it, for a lady who just inherited it, I'm nearly clueless about shotguns.
So far I know that it was made around 1889, 12Ga, SXS, Hammerless, 32" barrels, grade "G". There is no original finish left, wood is in good shape, checkering is worn, doesn't seem to have been modified or repaired, locks up tight, two small dings (dents?) in one of the barrels. Most of the engraving is very clear, as are the other markings. What else do I need to find out, before I can find it's current value?
This person also has a Remington Model 81 in .35 Rem. and a strange falling block .22. Both are in the same condition as the Parker, she is looking for quick sales. Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Randy

MarlandS
Master Archivist
(4/24/03 7:19:24 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del Re: Parker Bros shotgun
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Randy, it sounds like one of the Damascus models (look at the barrels inside and out and see if you can see a "twist" to them. Here's what the Bluebook says about them :parker damascus barreled shotguns (hammer or hammerless) are very collectible if original condition is over 40%. Specimens in 90% or better condition with strong case colors can approximate values of the steel barrel models if the bores are in excellent condition also (no pitting). Values for under 40% specimens fall off rapidly and are no longer comparable to steel barrel guns. As an example, a steel "D" Grade (without ejectors) might range from $1,500 to $7,000 (10%-100%) with a rather even downward progression of values in between the high and low values. A 100% damascus "D" Grade could have a $3,500+ price tag hanging from the trigger guard while 5%-15% condition specimen is typically seen priced in the $375-$550 range. Remember, the guns are not rare but their condition is.
So, I would strongly recommend taking it to an upscale gunshop or pro appraiser, barring that and she just wants to get rid of it, go for $1,000- $1250 (quick sale).

MODEL 81 "WOODSMASTER"
- .30 Rem., .32 Rem., .35 Rem., or .300 Savage cal., semi-auto, takedown action, 5 shot, non-detachable box mag., 22 in. round barrel, notched elevator rear sight. An improvement of the Model 8; was available in 5 grades. Better grades bring higher prices. 56,091 mfg. 1936-50.
Grading 100% 98% 95% 90% 80% 70% 60% 50% 40% 30% 20% 10%
$500 $400 $300 $250 $200 $175 $150

The .22, I have no idea, I'm sure someone would give $200 for it as a curiosity if nothing else. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Randy713
(4/25/03 2:39:36 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del Re: Parker Bros shotgun
Gosh, thanks for the most through information I've seen in a long time. I wandered over here from Parallax's Milsurp forums, since I've got the Global account, I was already signed-in, it's great. Can't live without the 'net, I live at the edge of the earth (N.W. CA), in an isolated seaport town. There isn't much in the way of business here, it's 2 hours of bad road to get the next larger city (Eureka!) with a 50% chance of finding what you need. Sites like this provide information/commerce that is not available anywheres close.
So, thanks again, you have been a great help
Randy

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.