Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is a good starting distance for pattern board.I was told 30 yards. Does that sound like a good place to start. Shooting trap at mostly 16 yards. Thanks Joe.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I think that the best distance would be one that would simulate the distance of whichever game you are playing.
Experiment with different load/choke combinations.
KEEP GOOD NOTES on the results especially if you are reloading your own rounds.

KH

·
Registered
17,956 Posts
Industry standard for patterning in all but the .410 is 40 yd. You may indeed get a perspective for you gun at any other range you intend to shoot, but comparing data one with another, and choke performance, all such data is based on 40 yd distances.

BP

·
Registered
11,197 Posts
Think this out logically and rationally.

The 40 yards is an industry standard.

Do you shoot your birds, clays and bunnies at 40 yards? I think the answer is NO!

As for me, I pattern my chokes at the distance I use them, about 20 yards for woodcock, grouse and skeet targets, 27 yards for IC, 32 yards for modified, pheasants and 16 yard trap, and 40 yards for full and ducks, geese, and handicap trap.

The 40-yard patterns don't give me a clue to practical uses for lesser chokes than full. (And I have performed the 40-yard pattern "exercise"!)

And I know what chokes to put into all my guns for the task at hand, because I patterned every one of 'em, and know what to expect!

BobK

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
I think bob is spot on.
I shoot at 40 because I want to gauge my duck/pheasant, fox/coyote loads at 40 and perhaps beyond.
For rabbits and other close range game I will pattern with i/c choke or cyl choke at 20 to 30 yards, even as close as 10 yards.
Bunnies in the brush don'cha'know, can be pretty darned close.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.