Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So in a fit of insomnia last night I had the idea to write some software that would automatically calculate all your pattern info based off a digital pic of the pattern sheet. You would load the pic, tell the program the size of your sheet and shot and mark your point of aim. It would then count the holes and draw your 30 inch circle and do the calculations.

You could add alot of features, like storing all the info in a DB, printing a page with the pic and all the info, etc.

This would be a pretty time consuming project so before I got started, I thought I would post the idea for some feedback before I dove into it.

So what are your thoughts good idea? bad idea? not worth it? would you be willing to buy such software? Tear the idea apart.

Thanks
Justus

p.s. If you are a programmer and would like to steal my idea, go ahead, just make sure I get a free copy and you let me know so I don't waste my time :)

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
If you could get it to do everything you say it would do on a PC, I think you'd be able to sell it easily. Just the time savings from having to count the holes would be huge. Would it require specialized digital imaging on the user's part to get the image of the shot holes in the paper?

Might also want to think about building in a calculator for number of pellets of a given size in a given weight charge; weighing the quadrants to measure PoI and give percentages of the pattern that are high or low; the capability to superimpose a silohuette (i.e., of a turkey profile or the outline of a clay bird); and having all the data downloadable to Excel.

Good luck; sign me up to buy a copy if you ever get it cooked...

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Man I hate it when your brilliant 3 am idea has already been taken... it make those hours spent not sleeping seem like such a waste :(

Oh well, I still may play with it some just to see how it comes out. does anyone have a digital pic of a pattern sheet?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.