Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have wondered about my consistancy with the new 20 ga. 391 and decided yesterday to put it on the pattern board. I've only had it for a couple of weeks and only been able to shoot it 5 times. Only this gun for the day.

Remembering what many of you had to say about patterning,I tried most of the suggestions including shooting off the bech, rested and supported and standing with the gun mounted with and without my jacket on for cool mornings such as we have now. All targets were at 64 feet on the level and I used the standard B-8 NRA targets which are among the largest. They are about 24X30 with a 1.5 inch orange bull in the center for consistant aiming. I felt like I got a pretty good impression of shot dispersal from these.

Bottom line

I tried my factory rounds with 7/8 oz #9 shot and the shot dispersal although pretty even all around seemed to be very light and I tried several targets rested and several standing mount. I then tried two shots standing at each target and it stayed the same. By comparison, very light peppering althought even all around.

I then did the same exact numbers of targets using my reloads with #8, #8.5 and my homemade shot which varies in size from about 7 to 8.5 but they are fairly round and very hard. The guy who makes them uses the pistol and rifle lead out of my indoor range for his product..

I was so surprised and pleased at the results I still have trouble believeing it. Wish I knew how to scan, I would try to send some of the targets.
With single round targets the #8 and my homemade were very similar. The 8.5 was very nice as well but seems to have a heavier center perforation and much lighter at the outside margins but ALL were so nicely disbersed I feel I can use them and will do so over the factory from now on.

BTW I am using Nobel Sport 8.5 for 20 and 1 oz 12 8.5 in factory loads. I don't know that makes a difference until I use them in the O/U next week but I have a feeling they may do the same.

Many other things came out as a result of this practicce situation as well. One being how I mount this gun to get the proper alignment. If I was the slightest bit low on my mount it made a significant difference in pattern location.

I also gained a lot of confidence in my own reloads. I can't tell you how much better they patterned than the factory.

Funny the homemade shot unlike the others were only loaded between the 3/4 and the 7/8 OZ shot drop. I am dropping 340 grains of my homemade and I still got super if not marginally better performance from them over the same exact ingrediaents using a full 7/8 oz load of shot of 8 and 8.5

For 50 years I have know the difference in loading my own rifle ammo. Now I am a true believer in loading my own SG ammo and further the importance in patterning every combination of components that I plan to use.
I thought it was a time consuming endeavor that had little or no use as it seems to me I can't change anything if my gun is not patterning well.

I have read many posts over time having to do with patterning. This post is from me to other guys who are new to shotgunning. Do as these experienced, knowledgeable guys say. Pattern every gun you use with each type of amm. If not, I can tell you, you are only guessing. Whether it is clay birds or the real thing I believe it will help you make hits. IMHO I think it is as important as fitting and courses from an espert.
Thanks to many here on the forum I am finding the value in both and that there are things that one can do to improve a situation.

Thanks again guys.

·
Registered
813 Posts
UncleFudd said:
Many other things came out as a result of this practicce situation as well. One being how I mount this gun to get the proper alignment. If I was the slightest bit low on my mount it made a significant difference in pattern location.
Hello Uncle KW;

LOP and crawling the stock...

Consistant gun mount is paramount...

Hit them all...

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
You can post pictures of your targets by first opening a free account with a hosting site such as: http://photobucket.com/ and uploading a few to that site. You need a digital camera.

Then you can either link your pics here or you can post the actual pic using a copy paste of the IMG Code from the hosting site. It's easier than it sounds, but getting a kid to show you how works even better! :)

My 20 ga skeet patterns run about 19 to 22" in diameter at 21 Yds (except for a few flyers), if that's any help.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks shootist;
That may be the answer as I am also going to do some rework on the wood and bluing on my mod 12 and 97 and I want to show some before and after pics when I am finished.
But you are right even with your help I will have to have my son show me how best to do it.

As for my targets they are very evenly disbersed around the entire bull which is probably 20" from center. I am really pleased especially with my reloads in either my home made shot or the #8 seems to be the best and the most even.
I am going to chech these again with the tubes in my O/U later this week I hope.
I am mincing around the house for a couple of days after some extreme dental surgery so out of pocket for a while.

Listening to some it seems there is large disparity in the value of patterning, but it sure gives me a new idea of where my gun shoots and where I need to be in relation to the bird.

Thanks for the help.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts