Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone? My name is John, and I have been shooting sporting clays for 18yrs now. I am a black man now living in Maine. In my travels through the northeast, I couldn't help but notice the absence of miorities in this great sport.I have come up with my own ideas as to why this is. I would be interested in fellow shooters input.SincerelyJohn (slowgun)

·
Premium Member
2,666 Posts
Welcome John....Even in the south, there doesn't seem to be many folks of other races or many women involved in the shooting sports. Although, Wiley's Outdoor Sports has a heck of guy as a pro bow shooter, Dr. Strickland.Why do you think that there are few minorities in the shotgun sports?

·
Premium Member
4,399 Posts
Hello John,Welcome to Shotgunworld.com!True in this part of Texas, too. I've seen a few black men at the rifle or pistol range, but none that I can recall on the clays. I did take my friend from work skeet shooting (he's black) and he seemed to enjoy it. I actually almost had him talked into buying a Beretta AL-391. He said that he had never gone before because he didn't know any one that shot shotguns.regards,Jay GentryShotgunworld.com Shotgunworld.com

·
Registered
83 Posts
Well, I'm an asian so I guess I can be considered to be a minority huh? A woman has the last word in any argument. Anything a man says after that is the beginning of a new argument.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In attepting to answer the question as to why people of color aren't represented to well in sporting? I believe there are three, maybe four parts in this answer. I grew up in Boston Masachusetts. Coming from an urban area, there was a location problem. Where do you shoot sporting, in the inner city?I am a Veitnam Era Vet. I never placed my hands around a shotgun till I was almost in my late thirties. Availability.Percption. The perception is that shotguns are only good for one thing, and that thing is: killing or maiming other human beings. Now I must say that this perception is held mostly by the young black men that I have approached about shooting. I found this disturbing, but a constant. Enlightening young people in my area, to the pure joy of shotgunning is very important to me , at this stage of life. I now am 59 years old. my only son doesn't show any interest in sporting,but his friends are always asking when is the next time I will be going to the range? Stange, Go FigureJust My .o2Shoot Well & ProsperSlowgun

·
Registered
8,211 Posts
Here in the mid-west, I've seen a few minorities out hunting. None belong to any of the clubs around that I have seen. if you hang around the gun counters the largest minority you see here are the Japanese (we have a Mitsubishi plant in town), I've yet to see a Middle-eastener in any of the shops , I have bumped into a few Hispanics but very seldom do you see any Blacks.Now let me give a little back-ground , my wife works at the Mitsubishi plant I mentioned earlier and a LOT of the people there know I'm hard-core pro-gunner with plenty of places to shoot (I'm a farmer). They also know that if anybody with any sense wants to come out and shoot, or learn to shoot I'm more than happy to provide the guns and ammo. A couple of the Japanese bosses have taken me up on it, a big pile of the (please excuse the expression I'm not real PC) "white boys" have been out, one Hispanic, and even though several have shown interest none of the Blacks have came out. Why? I have an idea but am leery of sharing it. There's one more group to be mentioned ,I don't really know if they would be considered a minority but they have been the most prolific in visiting and shooting (they also buy the nicest equipment) that is the lesbians, 8 years ago, I taught a "married" couple the ins and outs of handguns and shot some clay birds off the thrower with a 20 ga. the "husband" took up trap shooting and really enjoys it , since that time they have been regular visitors to shoot their pistols and have brought about a dozen or more of their friends out to the house to learn and shoot.i don't care abou race , religion, orientation or none of that I just want people to be informed before they decide on shooting and firearm issues.

G

·
Sorry, this is so late. I just found the site. But, it seemed to be important enough to get involved. We have a gun club in SC w/ minority members. One of our top clay shooters / clays instructors is black. My experience at this club is that it is the most open and fair place I have been. It may sound corny but, at gun clubs you are truly judged by you character and passion for the sport, not by appearance.
LF

·
Registered
130 Posts
We have one African-American gentleman shooting with our gun club and he says that one of the reasons that we see so few people of minority races is purely stereotypical. Many believe that the only people that shoot shotguns are red-neck hillbilly racists that hate people of color. I know for a fact that this is not true for our club, but this is one of the prevalent ideas among the minority communities in the United States. As members of the shooting community it is going to be up to us to spread the word to everyone else. Good Luck and Good shooting!!--------AFG

·
Registered
83 Posts
Come out to triple b clays and I'll show you minorities. Actually, being white would be a minority at my local club.

·
Registered
121 Posts
There is a heck of a shot in trap that is colored. He did really well at the Southwestern Grand. i dunno his name i'll go look at trap an field in a minute and post it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
AFGunner said:
... one of the reasons that we see so few people of minority races is purely stereotypical. Many believe that the only people that shoot shotguns are red-neck hillbilly racists that hate people of color... --------AFG
That would be my guess, as well. Unfortunately.

BTW, welcome John. Good to have another member for input and sharing.

The group I shoot with from work is comprised of; one black, one Italian, one Polish, one Russian, myself and one other who are white. So we are quite a multicultural, informal group of friends.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Add at least four more people of color to the growing population!! I asked some of the guys that I work with to join me for a couple of rounds of skeet and or trap at our base range and now there are three more addicted shotgunners. Two have even made the plunge and bought new guns to shoot with instead of using a house gun. One has even bought a use MEC 600Jr to reload target rounds. As a Native American Cherokee Nation) on my mother's side, I welcome one and all to the sport and challenge everyone to bring a friend to the range and get them hooked too.---AFG

G

·
My club has "Minority Day" Sponsored by a 10th Cavelry Club that comemorates the Buffalo Soldiers. This is a day when anybody can come to get familiar with and get some ''trigger time'' and instruction with any type of firearm there is,FREE. Seems like a good idea to me. I think it lets everyone know all are welcome at our club. Don't know about the turn out being neither minority or novice

·
Registered
159 Posts
PEOPLE OF COLOR STRUCK ME FUNNY :)

WERE ALL PEOPLE AND ALL COLORED :shock:

BLACK/WHITE/YELLOW

WHO GIVES A S&#T PEOPLE ARE PEOPLE.

COME OUT AND SHOOT AN HAVE GOOD TIME!!

LET me tell you a story when I was about 8 or 9.First let it be known I'm a Irish up north real close to being a ******* to CLOSE!!!And my dad real predjusice and thats the way I was brought up.Wrong!!!
Any way a black man showed at my grandpas house.A long time friend of his.
When my gramps walked out of the room I had my I eye on him make sure didin't steal nothing.
Any way my gramps was noticeing the way I eyein this man and after he left.
Sat me down and gave me the best advice I have ever recived!!
When It comes to races I don't care what color!! YOU HATE THEM ONE AT A TIME!!!! DON'T JUDGE THE WHOLE RACE FROM ONE EXPERANCE OR FROM WHAT YOU HAVE HEARD!!!!

WORDS TO LIVE BY :D

WELCOME SLOWGUN!!

MY TWO CENTS

SCOTT

COME OUT AND SHOOT AND GOOD TIME

·
Registered
22 Posts
Scott231 said:
PEOPLE OF COLOR STRUCK ME FUNNY :)

WERE ALL PEOPLE AND ALL COLORED :shock:

BLACK/WHITE/YELLOW

WHO GIVES A S&#T PEOPLE ARE PEOPLE.

COME OUT AND SHOOT AN HAVE GOOD TIME!!
Well, since the author is calling himself that, I don't think it really matters how it makes you feel. Names mean nothing. It is the context in which they are used. He used it to bring up a valid point. (and bravely touched on a subject which many would just rather avoid/deny than comment on or try to fix) From some of the follow up threads, it sounds as if there are some clubs and informal groups doing a good job reaching out to everyone. Keep up the good work. And try not to deny yourself a good shooting partner just because you assume they are not interested in shooting sports. Maybe they just need a friend to go with.

G

·
In my ATA shooting days , i shot at a black gun club just outside of Rochester , NY called Falcon Trap and Game Club. They have a beautful layout and from the women doing the signups to the teens doing the scoring, everyone was very welcoming and friendly. Some of New Yorks past state champions are black and what contact I've had with them has been very courteous. Tom Hill and David huddleston to name a few, but super shooters to watch and very down to earth people to converse with. But as stated before i do believe that gun clubs around here being in the smaller towns in the country side is a valid reason for the lack of black shooters in the sport.

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
Our shooting club is small, 120 members. We are in the growing stages. We have 2 black members in our club. The first one to join was back when I was president, he came up to me and asked if we allowed black people to join our club. I asked him what color was his money, he said green, I told him thats the only color we were interested in. We both laughed and he joined. I'm the chairman of a local Friends Of NRA Banquet committee, of our 66 sponsors, we have one black business as a sponsor. Its a restaurant and a good one at that! Our club and the committee use it for our meetings. Keith

·
Registered
88 Posts
Well, in what I have experienced in my first year of shooting trap, there are a lot of outwardly racist people in the league where I shoot. Moreso than with any other group I am involved with. I am not drawing any conclusions from this, just sharing my individual experience.

·
Registered
14 Posts
At one of my gun clubs, to my knowledge we don't have any black members. We've had several join but then we never see them again and they never renew their membership. I've asked myself why several times.
About 5 years ago a young black boy about the age of 11 or 12 participated in our hunter safety program. He really enjoyed shooting and he came back and I would let him use the one of the club guns. He even joined the club and I sponsered him. He shot every week for about 2 months (homework allowing) and then disappeared. I called his home to see if he was alright and was told to mind my own business. To this day I don't know why he stopped or was stopped from shooting. As to this club we do have some very racist folks that don't mind using the N-word, but not around black folks. I've told them several times that I don't like the word but to no avail, I've decided to stay away from them.
At my other gun club we don't have any black folks shooting shotguns but we do have several shooting HP rifle and pistol sports. Go figure.
Maybe shotgun sports do have a redneckish appearance, I don't think so but then again what do I know I'm just a Tennessee Hillbilly.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I just went to an open house at a trap range in Naperville IL. My first shotgunning experience. It was wonderfully organized. After the safety instruction we got to shoot 5 birds with an instructor by our sides. One of the instructors was African American, and the club openly welcomes all members of the community. Everyone had a great deal of fun.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.