Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Entry level because it is somewhat less expensive than an MX8/12/2000, but still not cheap. To me action seems to be similar to MX3; guys more familiar with Perazzi models can add to or correct that. MXS comes with fewer options than the other current production MX guns: fixed trigger only, 30 or 32" barrels only (no barrel weight options as far as I know), if fixed choke, M/IM only. I did not care for the cosmetics of the first iteration of the MXS, but Coles and PSA are listing a second generation MXS that is much more traditional in appearance.

The MXS that I demo'd was fixed choke, 32", adjustable comb, and it may have been lighter than an MX8 of the same configuration, but not strikingly so. The demo gun was nicely finished, pointed naturally, and swung quickly, but still easily controlled. All in all I thought it was a nice gun, but in that 7k range there are lots of nice guns. And, if one considers used, there are good clean MX8's, 12's, and 2000's to be had; so I'm not sure that an MXS would be my first choice for getting into a Perazzi.

·
Registered
14,617 Posts
My wife has one--loves it.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
I bought one about over a year ago when they were priced more competitively than what they are now. Mine has the big lettering on the side. It does not bother me and the wood grain on my gun has some nice figure for an "entry level" gun. My gun, with 32" fixed choke barrels and non-adjustable comb, weighs in at 8.5 lbs and handles better than the MX12 I had.

I had the barrels worked over by Briley to get them to .032 fixed in each barrel. They were originally about a tight Modified and a tight Improved Modified/Light Full choke constriction but I wanted both to be around a Light Full choke constriction for use for live bird shooting. The chokes smoke targets (and pheasants), and I get nice clay target breaks from long yardage distance.

I really like the beavertail forend.

Cole's and Pacific Sporting both claim they had input into the redesign of the MXS. They put this claim on their own respective websites. Just a bunch of marketing b.s. if you ask me but in any event, the substantial price increase as to what the MXS costs now is not worth it in my opinion. They got rid of the lettering on the side of the receiver and now they are asking 2 to 3,000 dollars more for the gun? :roll:

·
Registered
14,617 Posts
One of the problems w/ Perazzi is that their guns last forever , so to sell a new one they have to do some changes. The changes are rarely substantive and mostly cosmetic.

I'm pretty sure most of their sponsored shooters are now shooting the "Hi Tech." Which is 99% of an MX 8 or MX 12. Cheryl Hall's Hi Tech SCO-O is a stunning gun.

I bought my wife the MXS for right at $6000 brand new. You can get a LNIB MX 8 for about that now.

·
Registered
14,617 Posts
I think the Z sport has a drop out trigger. The MXS and the Salvenelli do not. They have coil springs like an MX 12 (or 2000s).

I think the Salvenelli has the Boss style lock up. The MXS does not--more like a 682 Beretta.

Answer--no--these guns are very close, so get the one that has the features YOU want.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
sera said:
I think the Z sport has a drop out trigger. The MXS and the Salvenelli do not. They have coil springs like an MX 12 (or 2000s).

I think the Salvenelli has the Boss style lock up. The MXS does not--more like a 682 Beretta.

Answer--no--these guns are very close, so get the one that has the features YOU want.
All have similar barrel/receiver lockup. Here is a pic of the Salvenelli
Looks very much like the Z Sport.

·
Registered
14,617 Posts
Those "side lumps" were invented by Boss 100 yrs ago & they are still the standard.

Also called Bifurcated Lumps.

Not to say that the Z Sport and MXS won't work fine for years , but they are NOT the classic Boss design.

These are features that might influence your buying spirit. I know they would mine.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
The Salvinelli L1 is a very nice gun, bank-vault solid (MX12 clone) with excellent fit and finish. I bought mine used - 32" barrels, screw-in chokes, and conventional stock. Barrels are properly regulated, and (for me) the gun is very soft in recoil. With factory (stainless steel) chokes the gun is distinctly nose-heavy, with Extreme (Ti) chokes, balance is more nearly neutral. I am seriously considering trading the L1 I have now for a new one with MC/AC stock to my dimension and 32" fixed-choke barrels (M/M). Salvinelli does not have the name recognition or cache of Perazzi, but at a functional level it is a reasonable substantially less expensive alternative.

·
Banned
3,014 Posts
sera said:
Those "side lumps" were invented by Boss 100 yrs ago & they are still the standard.

Also called Bifurcated Lumps.

Not to say that the Z Sport and MXS won't work fine for years , but they are NOT the classic Boss design.

These are features that might influence your buying spirit. I know they would mine.
Bifurcated lumps = couldn't remember the proper name :wink:

Agree with you on the timelessness of John Robertson's (Boss & Co.) design. I want it.

·
Banned
3,014 Posts
mwr01 said:
The Salvinelli L1 is a very nice gun, bank-vault solid (MX12 clone) with excellent fit and finish. I bought mine used - 32" barrels, screw-in chokes, and conventional stock. Barrels are properly regulated, and (for me) the gun is very soft in recoil. With factory (stainless steel) chokes the gun is distinctly nose-heavy, with Extreme (Ti) chokes, balance is more nearly neutral. I am seriously considering trading the L1 I have now for a new one with MC/AC stock to my dimension and 32" fixed-choke barrels (M/M). Salvinelli does not have the name recognition or cache of Perazzi, but at a functional level it is a reasonable substantially less expensive alternative.
Very nice.

One question: you would prefer an adjustable comb even though Pacific Sporting Arms offers a made to measure stock at no extra charge with a new Salvinelli?

I don't presume to tell you what to do. But if I shelled that money out it would be with the intention of keeping the gun for life and so I would want the stock made to fit me. That's just my preference.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Sobrepuesta said:
mwr01 said:
Very nice.

One question: you would prefer an adjustable comb even though Pacific Sporting Arms offers a made to measure stock at no extra charge with a new Salvinelli?

I don't presume to tell you what to do. But if I shelled that money out it would be with the intention of keeping the gun for life and so I would want the stock made to fit me. That's just my preference.
I would have the stock built to my dimension with the a/c in the full down and centered position - with no plan to ever move it from that setting. My LOP is quite long, and I would have the stock built to achieve that with a 1" pad and 1/4" spacer so that the stock itself was of more conventional length. All so that when my wife finally kills me for buying yet another shotgun, she will have a more readily marketable asset. When I had a stock built for my F3, I did as you indicated - custom fit, no adjustment, no compromise. However, I did keep the factory wood so that (once again) when my survivors decide to sell the gun, it will be easier to do.

·
Registered
14,617 Posts
MW: this is exactly how I think. Every gun is a stepping stone to my final destination (the grave) , but til then I want the most practical device possible for re-sale or trade-ability.

One day , if I live long enough , I want a Perazzi w/ a gold griffon engraved on the side. I will need good solid guns to sell/trade when that day comes.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Yup, I plan for each purchase to be the last; then it isn't. So, first what I want, but in as negotiable a configuration as possible just in case.

Gold gryphon would be most cool. Something special about that particular mythic creature?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.