Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody have a good recipe for pheasant legs?

Thanks.

Herb S.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks oldhunter1. I will try that.

Herb S. :D

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
I save all the pheasant legs, and then use them to make a hearty soup in the crockpot.

Here is one recipe, but you can easily alter/substitute the ingredients.

1. Pour 60 ounces of tap water in the crockpot

2. Add 8 pheasant legs

3. Add 1/2 cup of kidney beans and 1/2 cup of black beans

4. Cook for 4-5 hours, then remove legs and carefully cut/pull all the meat off the legs. You will throw away all the large and small bones.

5. Return the legs to the crockpot and add the following:

- small can of tomato paste
- 1 diced onion
- 1 diced carrot
- 1/2 green pepper, diced
- 2 stalks of celery, cut-up
- salt & pepper to taste
- (optional) 1 tsp. of oregano

6. Cook for another hour

7. The add either 4 oz. (1/3 package) of noodles, or pasta, or 1/2 cup of uncooked rice

8. Cook another 30 minutes

7. SERVE

You can vary this recipe by substituting diced poatoes for the pasta, or add mushrooms or cut-up green beans.

·
Registered
15,565 Posts
Best way is to either stew them to make something like Chicken and dumplins or a soup.

Second is to fry them in some flour with spices, whatever you like. Then put them wither in a covered casserole dish or a crock pot and let them slow cook at a low temp for a long time. They come out very tender and delicious. You can do this with the entire bird too cut into pieces and it is excellent.

·
Registered
287 Posts
My dogs can have treats now and then after all the work they did to put the birds in the bag. But I enjoy the dark meat of any fowl, so they may have gotten a chunk of somewhat dryer white meat. Everyone has their preferences. For me the absolute tastiest morsels from any bird are the two medallions on the back above the legs. It pops out like a pickerel cheek and is always moist, tender and tasty. Folks who just breast a bird and ignore the rest lose out.

Back to the legs, which I also eat and fight those little tendons. Anybody have any hints on pre-cooking removal?? I know now I will be trying the boil/peel/grind method suggested. With the slow cookers, I have tried wrapping the legs individually in cheesecloth to at least keep all those little tendons from ending up in the sauce. Not always successful. I am enjoying the recipe section. I have eaten these birds for more than 50 years now and I'm still learning new ways to enhance the dining experience. I find the folks on SGW are more useful than cookbook chicken recipes and internet recipe searches because we have all consumed these specific birds. I am still enjoying last years "Firestick" recipe find. Love that one. Cheers, Jack

·
Registered
18,098 Posts
oldhunter1 said:
drsfmd said:
Around my house, dark meat= dog food.
From what I've seen of some of your other posts, that's what I would expect from you. I don't know anybody that asked me what you did with dark meat. If you didn't have a recipe, why did you have to post anything at al?
You're right. I forgot to share my recipe... it was an oversight on my part. I take all of the dark meat and cut it into 1 inch or so squares. I then boil it in lightly salted water until it's well cooked... sometime I throw it in the oven rather than boil it. When it's cooked through, I let it cool. I then feed it to the dog.

Better?

And your recipe is?

For that matter, why would you care if I choose to not eat dark meat that I don't like the taste of? Why is that what you would "expect" from me?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts