Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,067 Posts
In a 12 ga, I use either an ounce and an eighth of sixes, maybe fives over a Win AA wad and enough Green Dot to get me about 1250 fps or an ounce and a quarter of 5s or 4s using the Win AA12114 wad and either Herco or Unique to the same velocity. I don't use Blue Dot much anymore, I get inconsistant results when used in temps below freezing.

·
Registered
17,956 Posts
I wonder how many pheasants I shot with 29 gr or Herco in an AA hull with 1-1/4 oz of #5 chill over a Pacific Blue Veralite wad? More than I care to think about right now. With Federal hulls I upped the powder charge to 30 gr. Used to load a few 1-1/8 oz loads with Unique too, very difficult to tell the difference. Haven't shot a 12 ga at a pheasant in probably 10 or 15 years. Last couple I got were with my 28 ga. We just don't have the population like we use to have anymore, so I don't really hunt pheasant anymore, don't want to be accused of killing the last rooster in the State! Our pheasants must have been wimps, it didn't take copper plated shot nor more than a 1 oz load to kill them with a 12 ga. Less yet with a small bore, like a .410!

BP

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
steel_warrior1 said:
What kind of load do you run for your pheasant loads. I just got some BlueDot powder with Rem. RP12 wads at 1 3/8 oz of 5 shot. So, what do you got going?
That combo should work really well.
I had a load in the STS hull with HS-6 powder and 1 3/8oz of #5's,works great.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Burnt Powders Herco load use to be my all time favorite duck hunting load when I hunted them. I still have Blue Veralite wads although I haven't used any in years. I like a 3-1/4Dram 1-1/4oz live pigeon load if I am going to shoot more than 1-1/8oz in the 12ga. I especially like Unique for these loads with either the AA or STS cases.

·
Registered
6,067 Posts
BP,
What do you mean few pheasants in Nebraska? That is where I go if I want to shoot any. If you want to talk about "few pheasants" try Minnesota. I think our total population is less than your seasonal bag. Your talk of "not as many as in the past" sounds too much like my dad; the old days were always better (though he and I agree womens' clothes, or lack there of, may be a bit better than in the past. We are still not decided if seeing whats underneath is better than the imagining of it).

·
Registered
15,565 Posts
I use Unique and the Claybuster clones in my 28 and 20 ga prefer #5 and am loading them to around 1200fps. I use the cheap remington hulls and have AA 28 go or Federals. I'm like BP I just don't use a 12 ga anymore unless it's waterfowl. I load 3/4 in the 28 ga and 7/8 in the 20 ga.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It is amazing BP that you only like a few hours north of me (Oberlin is pretty close to the boarder, 30 minutes from McCook), and the change in the pheasant population. I know that we have had a huge increase in pheasants this year, well needed after a huge dry spell. I guess you guys get the ducks and geese, we get the pheasants. All is well that ends well.

·
Registered
17,956 Posts
I've probably got as smuch to do with the reason we don't have many pheasants any more as anyone. I've been in the Center Pivot Irrigation business since the mid '70s. Tear out the old vacant farm places, hedge rows, doze in the draws, farm every square foot of land, all the farms are at least a 1/4 section, no more fence rows, everything is irrigated, no more wheat stubble fields, got to be a big farmer to survive, so the disk follows the picker through the field. No food, no cover, no pheasants! I've not shot at a duck or goose since the steel shot rule! Face it, clean farming is NOT conducive to wildlife production! I still remember limiting out on one tiny weed patch in the old days. Limit 3. 20 or more birds get up, pick out 3 roosters, 3 shots, done for the day! Memories only! :cry: We've had some pretty nasty snow again this winter early. That is as hard on pheasants and quail as anything. I'm talking 24" of snow with winds in excess of 90 MPH. Again, not condicive to wildlife production, they have NO where to survive!

BP

·
Registered
17,956 Posts
Sure they do, corn stalks don't provide much cover, not much feed either. The newer hybreds retain ears better and newer combines don't leave much on the ground either. Nesting cover is the key! Pestisices kill the bugs, herbicides kill the weeds, and irrigated corn ruins the habbitat. No summer fallow, no milo. Other than that our conditions are perfect! :roll: No rain helps too!

BP

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.