Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
8,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't seen one brood of pheasant chick yet this year. Come to think of it, I've only seen a very few Roosters along the roads. The season looks bleak so far..

·
Registered
8,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Old typical (7-8 yars ago or more) atleast one bird flushed for every hour hunted.New typical, one bird flushed for every 5-6 hours hunted. We have had too many bad springs and summers. This year and last we have drought conditions during nesting times. It always seems something goes wrong at just the wrong time.I guess I'll be able to get a better idea of what is out there once we get to combining.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Come on up to WI. I'll take you to the pheasants. This years been pretty good for me. I went to Iowa for the opener there too. It wasn't as good as the last few years, and they raised the out of state fees too! Oh well when you hunt for fun sport and love you have to pay the tolls.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Dont you have to hung them out so that they rot for a week before you cook them? Sounds tasty!! Its not how well you shoot , its how much noise your gun makes

·
Registered
224 Posts
Hi gordon setter! I am just started pheasants and haven't had any luck gettting birds in Wisconsin. Can you give me some places to hunt? (I am not asking for your honey hole) Unfortunately none of my buddies pheasant hunt so am learning on my own but love being out there with my dog.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Well it would be eisier if I knew where you where ...I live in Green Bay so I can give you info on whats around here. Kewaunee has some great hunting on the public land next to the fish hatchery. If you go way north into Oconto Falls area there are 2 game farms in the area that cause an increase in "wild birds". Ya know, the ones that got away. If you go to the DNR website they have a whole section on pheasant. Let me know where you are I also have some ideas for other parts of the state I have hunted.www.dnr.state.wi.us/org/l.../pheasant/PS. DKS there is not much I would eat that smells like a week old dead bird. Mmmmm yummmmy :x Let the dog hunt the birds, ... you hunt the dog.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Can you give me some clues about SW wisconsin. I have relatives in dodgeville I can stay with. We have hunted blackhawk with little sucess.

·
Registered
985 Posts
I hunt in Richland center. There is not alot of birds down that way, but if you can get on some priv land with a cornfield right next to it, you'll be in. The birds will eat in the corn at dusk and dawn. They will then move to grass for cover. start at eight am and hunt the grass good. I can't tell you how much a dog will help. a dog will cover three or yards to your one foot. birds down there sit and run, they hate to fly. pin um or scare um.good luck Let the dog hunt the birds, ... you hunt the dog.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Cool for you cjreed64. I love Iawo hunting, too bad I had to pay $81 for it this year! Oh well. Opening morrning we got 10 birds with seven guys and my Gordon. The dog only pointed six of the birds. The others we just stumbled upon. Thats what I love about Iowa, you can spread out and find birds before the dog, they were thick this year. Though this year is the first in three that we did not limit out on opening day. Oh well, we will next time. I hunt near Iawo City, where are you at? Let the dog hunt the birds, ... you hunt the dog.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Ho Ho- last weekend afriend and myself put up 8 birds in a hour and half. ON public land, dogless. 5 of the birds were in one flush alone. The other 3, we had to walk up. No telling how many birds sat in place and let us pass. Hen to cock ratio was 50/50. Nov 14 end it. Now it's time for grouse again. Shells

·
Registered
4 Posts
been in AZ for 8 years but before that IA...don't know current status of crp but used to get 45 to 50 per...friends got more but I had two jobs and full time school... Right place ...right time and right farmer friend...another former partner/brother in law... hunts the paloose in E WA and does even better but has the same style contacts...shoulda stayed in one of those places.... quail here, in AZ, can sometimes be ,to quote a friend, "hiking with guns."

G

·
Hunting public hunting grounds in Wisconsin are for those that haven't discovered game farms. I hunt regularly at Hunter's Park in Brillion Wisconsin.

For 20+ years pheasant "hunting" to me amounted to taking my dog for a walk in a field and then cleaning my gun and putting it away. Lot's fun. :(

Now the whole family has a barrel of fun. My wife and I take our two Airedales pheasant hunting out there on a regular basis.

And like the bumper sticker on my truck says, "If not for yourself, do it for your dog". Well??? It's true. I don't see how anybody can train a dog to hunt without birds to hunt.

It is so amazing to watch THEM learn to hunt, and that teaches us how to watch THEM when they get "birdy".

(Plus there is nothing better than watching my cuddly little brown and black teddy-bear-like pup run down a screaming pheasant :D )

I guess what I'm saying folks... at least in Wisconsin here, if there weren't game farms, there would be no pheasants.

Oh yeah. The DNR and stocking.... Hmmmm.... Remember.... "A fool and his money is soon parted, but a fool and your money works for... You guessed it. :wink:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts