Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings Again,
Seems to be my week for old, obscure doubles. There seems to be little info on this one. A customer brought it to me, as it was very dusty and grimy, as it hung in is late Grandfather's home for many many years.. It is a "wreck", as it was fixed, glued and screwed, the wrong way, over a number of years. There is no value in this piece, as the customer wants to continue to hang it, but just wants to find out what it is, date it and clean it up.. What I have is a 36" 10ga. Damascus Percussion SxS. The locks are marked: "Made for Schaeffer & Loney, Baltimore" I determined this was listed in a 1857-57 directory as an importer of hardware and guns, but I have no dates as to how long they operated. They were listed at 3 Hanover St then, but may have moved from 126 Lombard Street after 1845?
The bottom of the barrels have some British proofs and the name "Phillips". I deteremined this was a gunmaker listed in 1885 at 31 Chapel Street, London. Supposedly a Horatio Phillips (1847-1922) , supposedly the same that developed the aircraft wing foil in the late 1880 and early 1890s ? I can't seem to determine a date range for this shotgun, unless Schaeffer & Loney may have lasted well into the 1880s? OR, Horatio Phillips is not the same as the guy born in 1847 !! ?? I am hoping one of you may have a little better information on this gunmaker. and/or the importer so I can correctly date the gun.
Thank You All Again..
FRED

·
Registered
629 Posts
I have no personal knowledge of Phillips but Mr. Carder says this:

PHILLIPS, THOS.:This name is marked on the barrel rib and the locks. The barrels have British proof marks. There are three Thos. Phillips listed in between 1820 and 1868 in Wales and Birmingham, England.

Again, just qouting Carder. Hope it helps.

'Lonzo

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Greetings Alonzo,

I don't doubt your info, but I find no reference to these other Phillips in the Greenhill Dict. of Gun Makers (J. Walter, 2001 Ed). It does show the two variations of spelling for H.Phillips or "phillipps".. There is nothing marked on the rib, but the botton of each damascus barrel has the name: phillipps.. in between the traditional proof marks. The Dictonary did list Phillips & Powis in Berkshire who coined the name "The Phesant" to their lines of firearms and ammunition. Midland Gun bought them out and eventually it was absorbed into Miles Aircraft in the 1950s..The Locks were marked for the importer, typical "house brand" guns..
Thank You for your help, everything helps..
FRED

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.