Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there...

I seem to be having a problem picking up the targets on certain presentations. Typically, these targets are presented "edge-on", which means I am not getting much view of the orange tops. I am shooting against a background with trees and some higher brush, typical of a farm field. This time of year, the leaves are down, so we're talking various shades of dark. And it's usually cloudy and some snow on the ground.

Presentations where the targets are against the sky or the orange top is visible are not a problem, just these lower ones.

Any suggestions on how I can see these targets better? I am wearing Rx glasses.

Would some kind of shooting glasses help? Is there some colored lens I can clamp on to my current glasses?

Thanks…

·
Registered
12,198 Posts
Yes, those are poor presentations at best, and no one can see what you see them like, but you. An 18 year old, or maybe the target setter will ask "What's the problem", one day hopefully, they will understand.

If you can see any color at all from the dome, then surely a color enhancing lense would help. Targets I simply could not pick up, were visible enough after holding a companions colored lense over my Rx lenses.

Two things I do on such targets: I hold an abnormally low gun and have learned to come up under the targets and intercept, keeping what is visible as good as possible. And, very important on these targets, watch them as far as you can see them when others are shooting or on the view pair. Unless there is a window or the target simply gets worse as far as edge is concerned, look for an opportunity to shoot them extremely early or late, it isn't uncommon for a target to curl late in such situations----use some choke and 7 1/2's. I've shot some so late I told the judge to move to the other side of the cage or he wouldn't be able to score it---ya gotta do what ya gotta do :cry:

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Tex...

I was thinking it was just me on those targets. Had to be six birds like that when I was out Saturday.

Would you care to recommend a place where I can get the shooting glasses? I'm interested in either clip-ons or some model than can just fit over my existing frames.

Thanks again...

·
Registered
895 Posts
DisinterestedThirdParty said:
Thanks, Tex...

I was thinking it was just me on those targets. Had to be six birds like that when I was out Saturday.

Would you care to recommend a place where I can get the shooting glasses? I'm interested in either clip-ons or some model than can just fit over my existing frames.

Thanks again...
Why don't you come out to Island Lake in Brighton. We have WileyX and HiDefSpex both in stock. If nothing else at least you can see some different options.
We also have a practice area where you can get alot of practice with lower targets and targets below your feet.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
claybuster425 said:
Why don't you come out to Island Lake in Brighton. We have WileyX and HiDefSpex both in stock. If nothing else at least you can see some different options.
I am a big fan of Island Lake and I shoot at there a lot. Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I am curious about your results to date as I have researched and done prentations on problems with contrast senstivity, glare sensitvity and other eye physiology issues in clays shooting.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts