Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Extrema Ratio is an Italian company making tactical cutlery. Their Fulcrum bayonet is apparently issue for elite Italian military units, and maybe their military in general. The bayonet is unusual in that the edge is on top when it's mounted. This has the effect of placing the loop below the handle when using the bayonet as a knife, providing greater protection to the fingers. The handle feels better in the hand than it looks like it would with the step down providing a purchase for the middle and index finger.

The modified tanto point looks like it should be strong, but I resisted the urge to take a run at my neighbors car door to test that assumption. I assumed the relieved section of the spine was a chopping edge, but it isn't as there is no edge, the blade is just half as thick in that area. A socket head screw at the back of the handle allows the lug clip, handle, and barrel loop to be removed for cleaning and replacement of individual parts.

The sheath is also interesting in that it contains the usual wire cutter, but the hard plastic piece removes from the fabric part of the sheath so the wire cutter can be employed without having to remove the sheath from one's belt/web gear. When the plastic part of the sheath is put back, a fabric pocket shields the lug and jaw so they don't catch or scratch things.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Nice looking setup. However whoever thought up the idea of having the sharp edge of the bayonet on the top, probably hasn't thought it through.

At least in my Army when the bayonet was used it was thrust with a downward movement, the reason is simple, that movement can be made with much more power and less effort than an upward thrust. Further, when using the bayonet you aim for the area under the sternum, and from there you can cut down into soft tissue, cutting upwards will bring your weapon to a halt against the rib cage or breastbone. The only way to get through the rib cage area is by thrusting with the blade flat, parallel to the ground, so it can slip between the ribs, and damage a vital organ. This is extremely difficult with the M16 pistol grip as you cannot hold the weapon properly for knife work unless you grab the weapon back of the pistol grip on the extender tube of the stock, thus putting both your hands in the same plane of movement. Of course this problem also exists with the M16, this means that you have to shift your grip from grip to stock and back to shift between shoot and stab.

Looks neat anyway.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts