Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Pietro Beretta model AL1-20 gauge semi-automatic. It was sold in the US under Garcia Sporting Arms, Washington, DC. I would like to know the approximate year of manufacture.
The serial number on the receiver is N00459.
Underneath the receiver are more markings: PSFXX7.
This is a sweet little gun, shoots great, stainless steel mechanism. I just want to know when it was made. Thanks for any help you can give me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK, now that I see the chart I realize that the markings say XX1, not XX7. Do you know what the value of this gun would be? There is only slight rust on the 28 inch alloyed crmo barrel, it has a modified choke, and the wood on the stock is in near-perfect condition.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
9,163 Posts
I suspect you were right the first time - a date code of XX7 sounds more logical than XX1. The write-up preceeding the chart in that post I linked you to, says:

In some cases, especially on older pistols, the actual date in Arabic numerals may be used, or a combination of Roman and Arabic numerals. For example, 1972 is usually represented by XXVIII, but in a few cases it may be written XX8 or as 1972.

XX7 would be the same as XXVII, which is 1971. XXI or XX1 either one would be 1965. The Blue Book says the AL-1 was introduced in 1971. So I think what you have is an AL-1 from the first year it was sold in the US.

Actually, the same gun (same basic design, anyway) was sold in Europe as early as 1965, but it was not called the AL-1. The AL-1 through AL-3 series were imported by Galef, who used their own model designations. If it is labeled an AL-1, it has to be a Galef import, made 1971 or later.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts