Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,962 Posts
That is my main heavy pheasant load with #5 or #4 shot size. I'll also load them with some #2 shot for predator hunting in the brush. As a whole, these loads pattern very well in most guns and are not too hard on the shoulder.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Sound's like a good Pigeon load to me.. We have a fan-tail pigeon season here and when you see them they are 50 yards straight up moving about 80 mph.. I havent gotten one yet!!!!

·
Registered
17,956 Posts
So that's what you call them? I've been just calling them Heavy field loads all these years. The old MAX load of 1-1/4 oz #5 shot and 3-3/4 dram load at, If I remember correctly, about 1335 fps was/is my old go to load for most everything except ducks. I liked #4 Magnums for them, 4 dram 1-3/8 oz loads. I suppose you could kill pigeons with them, we used to do it with 2-1/2" .410s loaded with 7-1/2s" They looked for all the world like they were dead to me!

BP

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
3 1/4 DE, 1 1/4 oz shot. Used to be called "live pigeon" loads. I used to load it and use it for everything. Now I shoot more and I am weaker and I load 3/4 oz loads unless I need something heavier.

·
Registered
17,956 Posts
My mistake, I misread the dram thing, it is 3-1/4, not 3-3/4. :oops: Yes, we used to shoot a lot of, well, I guess not, the old Remington Shur-shot was a 1-1/8 oz load. guess I've never used any of them, at least knowingly! :roll: I'll bet they will work fine though!

BP

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
I use that weight load with 7 1/2 shot for pigeons in the summertime, after most of the chucks are taken care of. Load them with winchester reds and Unique. They work, and yes I believe it is refered to as a "Live bird load". If I have time this year I am going to do some serious pattern testing in my gun with 5's and 6's in both 3 1/4 and 3 3/4 dram 1 1/4 oz. loads. If the lighter ones pattern much more evenly I may use them for pheasants next year.

Jeremiah

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.