Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
29 (?) yards, spring-topped traps:

Any suggestions on favorite loads (limited to 7-1/2 shot)?

Heavi-shot?

Choke for a newbie to start with?

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
The few boxed bird shoots I've taken part in I've used the heaviest shot charge of #8 lead through a modified choke for the first shot followed by the same load with 7 1/2. This was 1 1/4 oz but its been a while since I've shot a formal match and the rules may have changed since then. I was told to use this combo by a world class shooter and found it worked as claimed IF I did my part. Lead was all that was allowed at the shoots I've attended as either a shooter or spectator and I don't think it would be practical to use for someone learning the ropes.

·
Registered
12,198 Posts
I use SuperHandicap 7 1/2's for the first shot, Federal Premiums second, unless I end up in a shootoff and back at 36 yards or so, then the Premiums for both.

If an O/U, I use I/M and Full, in that gun is .030" and .040" but I make sure they do that on paper, and they do. After you slide (a term for running 5 birds and moving back a yard) a few times and end up at 34 or so, or in a shootoff and moving back, put all you have in that you know patterns well, a pair of .040's will work.

A quick note, if a bird comes out of the trap dead, and they do on occasion, you put a shot somewhere in the direction of that bird before he hits the ground and it will be scored dead.

At least here, only lead shot is legal. It can be plated though, 1 1/4 max, any velocity.

Gamebore makes a shell called "Buffalo", 1 1/4, that goes out at 1450 and if you connect with that puppy, it will skin 'em and fry 'em.

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
TT,
I used to use those Buffalos for some FITASC presentations but used the last of mine for sharptails and early pheasants. They really rocked one when set off! I used a special order run of Winchester Super-X Pigeon loads that I piggybacked onto my mentor's order; 1 1/4 oz of copper plated shot with Grex buffer. He uses some B&P load now and I don't remember what. The last I heard he won a shoot in either Spain or Italy and walked away with over $200,000 in cash and prizes. His belief was the 8s increased chance of hits to the head and broke wings and legs to anchor the bird. If the bird so much as twitched, the 7 1/2s with a full choke (Iforgot to add that part) did a better job of penetrating the feathers and anchoring the bird in the ring.
Also, have you tried columbaire (sp)? Between my friend's accounts and Bob Brister's writing I would love the opportunity to see it though I don't think I'd like to be humbled badly enough to try it.

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
TT,
I used to use those Buffalos for some FITASC presentations but used the last of mine for sharptails and early pheasants. They really rocked one when set off! I used a special order run of Winchester Super-X Pigeon loads that I piggybacked onto my mentor's order; 1 1/4 oz of copper plated shot with Grex buffer. He uses some B&P load now and I don't remember what. The last I heard he won a shoot in either Spain or Italy and walked away with over $200,000 in cash and prizes. His belief was the 8s increased chance of hits to the head and broke wings and legs to anchor the bird. If the bird so much as twitched, the 7 1/2s with a full choke (Iforgot to add that part) did a better job of penetrating the feathers and anchoring the bird in the ring.
Also, have you tried columbaire (sp)? Between my friend's accounts and Bob Brister's writing I would love the opportunity to see it though I don't think I'd like to be humbled badly enough to try it.

·
Registered
12,198 Posts
WOW, I have a friend that is ranked thru TPSA that won $90K, and a few smaller ones. I've never been off to Florida/Georgia/La to any of those big shoots, always too much expense involved anyway when I don't get to shoot them enough.

I also know some guys that use 8's first shot, but is one of those things that is in my head that I need out, what if I mix them and shoot the wrong one first---don't need any of that when (in my case) $6K was on the line.

As you know, Columbaire is a whole other breed of cat, only thing similar is the birds, and I've won more money there but it is harder earned------and you have to shoot against the Columbaires as well. Too much chance of home cookin and I have seen it, no doubt in my mind.

I do use 8's or 8 1/2's on the first shot there, with zero choke, .040" on the second with premiums if there is any wind, Supers if not. The last Buffalos I had I used up in the ring, tore wings plum off, and in that case I never felt the recoil of that beast-----just so pumped up because of what you are doing.

You really ought to try it, you don't have to enter the main race at most events, it might be your thing. And......I don't look for them to be that common anymore, they are dieing on the vine------too much underhanded stuff going on there and is well known.

My buddy just built a new clubhouse and three rings near Amarillo, not a hint of a Columbaire ring on the place, it's going out so you better do it while it is available. :(

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
To be clear, that $200,000 wasn't me, dang it!! My total take home might be $200 before any expenses. Part of my buddy's prize was a jeweled gold brooch/buckle that I was told was valued at $50,000 for first place along with a $100,000 cash purse. The rest came from side matches and side bets. He is pretty quiet about his accomplishments, he has been broken into three times over the years from those looking for the jewelry.
He gave me my first shells and reasons why when I started and since I did well (for me) that first time I stuck with the routine. Left on my own I probably would have gone with 7 1/2s with the same chokes.
We have two clubs with rings up here but the matches are very hush/hush as they seem to be frowned upon by many which also keeps purses rather low. Surprisingly, tower shoots are much better recieved though there is no money for these. It's too bad about columbaire but that seems to be the case in many endeavors where two humans are involved. If I ever get a chance I'll have to try it if for no other reason to say I have.

·
Registered
474 Posts
You guys are talking about live bird right? I always thought that game had gone the way of the dodo because of all the PETA types freaking out, and states caving to the pressure and banning it. Well, you learn something new every day, and I'm really glad to hear it's still around because I've always heard that live bird is some of the most interesting shotguning to be had.

·
Registered
368 Posts
HunterJon,

Live pigeon shooting is alive and well. Because of all of the PETA idiots however, it is kind of kept hush, hush.

All the advice you have gotten about 1 1/4 ounce loads is right. Use the hardest shot you can find and tight chokes. You want the pigeon as dead as possible when it hits the ground. If it walks out of the ring, it is a miss!

Doug Gordon

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks fellas. I have an opportunity to try some practice birds, and this gives me an idea of where to start.

·
Registered
16,296 Posts
I went to the jail house once for shooting "flyers". Long story, but a lot of the more"influential" people in our area went along with me including our county judge, the local sheriff and our county prosecutor,several doctors and lawyers.

Loads of fun and a few bucks to be made!

I never had a problem with the old Pigeon Loads from Winchester---3 1/4-1 1/4-7 1/2 nickle plated shot. The trick is to hit em hard the first shot, then hit em again---quickly!

·
Registered
12,198 Posts
driller said:
I went to the jail house once for shooting "flyers". Long story, but a lot of the more"influential" people in our area went along with me including our county judge, the local sheriff and our county prosecutor,several doctors and lawyers.
Places I know of in Texas, will notify the local Sheriff that a shoot is going to be held and most likely, that office will post deputies at the entrance-----and you better have authorization or an invitation or you won't get past them.

The PITA freaks have been known to sneak around thru the country to invade the event, they promptly go to jail.

·
Registered
16,296 Posts
In our case the county judge was shooting when the PETA types and the State Troopers showed up..... :lol:

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
driller said:
...a few bucks to be made!
To get off on a tangent...........

Apparently, I have failed as a parent :cry: .

We played some games last night and I contributed to the pots for my son and I. When all was said and done, my money was gone, but "the boy" wound up counting some loot. When I asked him if he intended to pay me back for putting him in the pots, he gave me a resounding "no".

Ungrateful is what he is...my fault for not teaching him better...strike 1.

Got home and he started bragging about his winnings to his mama. I then got the once-over for "teaching our son to gamble"...I've screwed up again...strike 2.

I know I'm wrong :oops: , but why do I have this sh*t-eatin' grin on my face?

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
driller-

Yes, it is :wink: .

1 - 16 of 16 Posts