Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, bear with me here. My parent's threw this big Christmas party tonight, and told me I should help. So, it was raining and I went to the top of our 1/4 mile driveway to help people come down it in the dark. Meanwhile, my sister and her friends go to my room to "take care of the dogs". So, I stay up there and help from 7:00 to 11:00, and I come back downstairs to my room, to find it trashed. She and her friends were sleeping in my bed, and all the books are pulled off my bookshelves. Worse yet, the tail was broken off of the fox squirrel I shot and had mounted. I actually was able to locate on in Texas and shoot it, and then pay $200 to have it mounted. So, I said something to my dad about it, and he told me to quit *****ing. So, I stayed up in the 35 degree, rainey weather to help guests he invited to a party and I got in trouble, while my sister who destroyed my room and broke my squirrel get off clean? ^77

BT

·
Registered
323 Posts
Bummer, BT. How much longer are you going to be living at home? Just don't let your sisters drag you down to their level.

·
Registered
5,825 Posts
I'd say you have a right to feel disappointed and angry. Unfortunately, the way you probably went about broaching the subject with your dad and the timing were no the greatest. Being you were likely wet, cold, and miserable along with the anger regarding your room, you probably came off rather "*****y" and with the after party let down and relief that your dad felt, that was the wrong approach at that time. I would go back in the morning, apologize for the attitude the night before, and reiterate what happened to your room and possessions in a calm and orderly fashion. Mention calmly that species of squirrel is uncommon in that part of the state and you spent quite a bit of your own money to have it mounted and it would only be fair that your sister should have to pay for it to be repaired, if possible. If she is too young to have a means of paying for the damages, then maybe you and your dad can work out some sort of work or duties your sister could do in place of money. I did this with my stepsons on many occasions and it only took a time or two to get the message across. You may be out of the cost of repairs in this case but I don't feel it is right for one sibling to damage another's property and not have some sort of penalty. If you still can get no satisfaction, realize that bad things happen to good people and hope this is the worst it gets.

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
BT, there is an important lesson here. Much that happens in life isn't fair, and we have to learn to deal with it. You will find this again and again, work, taxes, politics, marriage, there are many times you will find you are not being treated fair, and learning to cope with it, is an important skill.

This is a dividing point in life. Some say, "He$$, if I'm going to get in trouble anyway, I might as well be bad." Others say, "I'm going to do the right thing, no matter if sometimes I get the short end of the stick for it."

Which side will you be on?

BTW, IMO, your sister should be made to pay for fixing the squirl with her own money, to teach her to respect other peoples property...

bd

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

BT

·
Registered
4,758 Posts
Yeah, 12 year old sisters are a pain no doubt. She probably thought it was cool to hang in "big brother's" room.

I agree with the post about just reiterating calmly why you are upset, and asking for some restitution.

That restitution make come in about 6-8 years when you can hit on her friends :lol:

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
:wink:

BT

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm in NC right now anyway :lol:

BT

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Click here for picture

You should have seen how many guys it took to get it into the back of my grandad's pickup. 8 if I remember right. And, after that, we realized that it hung off the bed too far, so we had to go rent a 24' flatbed just to take it to the taxidermist.

BT :lol:

·
Registered
44 Posts
BT,

I must say my young friend, I can certanly feel and understand your sittuation. Angry, frustrated, and probably the feeling of being betraid. I think I would have these feelings and I'm 44.

I can certanly agree with you; she shouldn't have trashed your room, broke your squirrels tail, and perhaps your Dad could have Listened to your position with a little more compation. As long as your position was delivered with calmness and respect.

Respect Hmm, what does this word mean to you? Do you give it to others as much as you expect them to give it to you? If you don't give any don't expect to get any.

It's not a perfect world and Dads aren't perfect neither. Mistakes are easy to make and some times hard to correct. You are who you are because of who you have been. Who will you be tomorrow? Tomorrow is the first day of the rest of your life, what are you going to do with it?

Not trying to take sides or give you a lecture. Just put things into the proper perspective and act on them. It is your choice.

MERRY CHRISTMAS BT and I hope things work out for the best.

·
Banned
30,315 Posts
She's 12. You should have expected your sister to trash your room. That's what kids do. Snitching to your Dad will have no effect. She is a girl and you can't hit her. You are screwed, my young friend.

Now, look at the bright side. You are dutiful and obedient son, who helped with your parent's party. In turn, soon they will send you off to a college where there are girls. And beer. And parties. All this will last for at least four years, and if you go on to professional school, you may stretch it out to seven or eight years. Then you will be thrown out into the cold, cruel world where you will marry one of those girls, and eventually have kids of your own. Your children will fight each other, destroy each other's stuff, and come to your with their tales of injustices. All this will happen in time.

There will be many, many, many times in your life that you will wish with all your soul and being that the biggest problem you had in life was a thoughtless 12 year old sister and a broken squirell tail. Not to say it doesnt' hurt right now. But, put your books back on the shelf, take the squirell in to a taxidermist and have it fixed when you get the coins, and life goes on. And, next time there is party direct your sister and her friends to use your parent's bedroom as the "watching the dogs" room. The problem will correct itself. :wink: [/i]

·
Registered
3,896 Posts
SuperXOne said:
She's 12. You should have expected your sister to trash your room. That's what kids do. Snitching to your Dad will have no effect. She is a girl and you can't hit her. You are screwed, my young friend.

Now, look at the bright side. You are dutiful and obedient son, who helped with your parent's party. In turn, soon they will send you off to a college where there are girls. And beer. And parties. All this will last for at least four years, and if you go on to professional school, you may stretch it out to seven or eight years. Then you will be thrown out into the cold, cruel world where you will marry one of those girls, and eventually have kids of your own. Your children will fight each other, destroy each other's stuff, and come to your with their tales of injustices. All this will happen in time.

There will be many, many, many times in your life that you will wish with all your soul and being that the biggest problem you had in life was a thoughtless 12 year old sister and a broken squirell tail. Not to say it doesnt' hurt right now. But, put your books back on the shelf, take the squirell in to a taxidermist and have it fixed when you get the coins, and life goes on. And, next time there is party direct your sister and her friends to use your parent's bedroom as the "watching the dogs" room. The problem will correct itself. :wink: [/i]
SuperXOne, That's a super one :D . BT, Chin up my friend.You will do fine.

Best-
Vikram

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
SuperXOne said:
In turn, soon they will send you off to a college where there are girls. And beer. And parties. All this will last for at least four years, and if you go on to professional school, you may stretch it out to seven or eight years. [/i]
Hopefully sooner than later :lol: I probably overreatted, as that runs in the family. I'll get it fixed, install a bunch of locks on my doors and life'll go on :D

BT

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.