Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering why shotgun manufacturers such as Mossberg,Winchester,& Remmington fit their home defense models with pistol grips?

How accurate can a .12GA be fitted with a pistol grip due to the recoil?

·
Registered
854 Posts
Only reason they make them is the make the overall length shorter and some people are willing to buy them.

Personally, I have no use for them. They look good in the movies.....but they don't help you shoot better. You don't have anywhere near the controll you have with a full length stock when fired from the shoulder.

·
Registered
12,198 Posts
The pistol grip is to aid firing the gun from the hip or unmounted, you don't have to have a death grip on the stock to hold it.

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
Shotguns with a pistol grip are good for only HD situations, pretty much useless for any sporting use. As posted above,, great movie stuff though.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Now I don't think too much of those "tatical" shotguns as the way most of those things appear to be configured, it mostly for show and posing.

I have tried the Mossberg pistol grip on the 500 and found it to be very inconvient to use to tang safety. Haven't tried any on my Remingtons and don't have a Winchester.

The value of a pistol grip on a short barrel shotgun is for convenience of carry and to manuver the the shotgun is tight places and concealment. The recoil when holding isn't significant compared to medium .357 and such.

Just for the heck of it I am building a T/C Encore pistol with a 20" barrel, ported turkey choke, fiber optic sights and the rubber Encore grips for this spring's turkey hunt. Have tried it with some factory field loads and the recoil isn't much and just as accurate as shooting with a stock from a ground blind or crouched position. Now with my heavy 3" two ounce turkey loads the recoil will be significant. But that all rubber grip takes a whole lot of the vibration out, and like shooting any heavy pistol if you don't fight it and go with the recoil it is controlable. And for turkey you only need to fire it once!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts