Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, let's start some BS for the holidays. I think some of you know I don't care for pistol grips all that much...good thing since I live in CA and it helps to not be missing too much since PG's are an element of our AWB.

That said, my friend has a AR-15 that handles great and this seems to be the definition of a weapon that needs a pistol grip.

My M1A does not... it's all fine and dandy with a 1957 style designed stock. I like my SG's this way too.

The only good things I can think about pistol grips are firing from the prone position with a long magazine is easier.

firing over walls or holding high might be quicker with a PG.

So what I think is that a good gun is a good gun based on many things, not just an arbitrary addition of a pistol grip. don't even get started on vertical fore grips... OMG how does one even hold those?

so what do you say? are pistol grips cosmetic or do they improve performance on shotguns or any modern rifle for that matter?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a pistol grip on my '60 vintage 870. Since a kid I have had the problem of whacking my nose with my thumb on recoil. The pistol grip eliminates this. For me the pistol grip keeps the wrist in a more natural angle, allows the use of a shorter length of pull and allows better control of recoil.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
smaller LOP and recoil absorption..good points I never really thought about the use of a shorter stock.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
I like pistol grip stocks on my guns. I find it easier to reload while keeping the gun on target and I find that the hand is in a more natural position. I find vertical foregrips are more comfortable as well, provided they're not positioned too far forward.

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
Since I am a "Jerry's Kid" the pistol grip is almost a must for me. I have a really difficult time pulling most triggers on the regular stock. I must qualify that with the fact that I have never had a trigger worked on at all so I may be able to do more than I realize if were to put forth a little cash and effort to sharpen up my firearms. The pistol grip makes for a much more natural grip, imo. I also feel that it gives me a little more control over the weapon in general.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
going along with what has been said in support of PG's on a SG, for those of us without huge mitts and big grips, the pistol grip offers me more control and a more confident hold which translates into a better shooting experience... as far as recoil reduction, a pistolgrip on the Knoxx SpecOps was not just for eye candy...

i even took it one step further and installed a thumbhole stock on a tactical rifle - that's not done often - put HS Precision sells quite a few especailly for long range sticks used for varmints or other targets...

thumbs up for the PG

·
Registered
70 Posts
Another benifit is for some (myself included) who started out shooting handguns, then in the military (Marines Ooh-Rah) shot the M16/M4. We are used to that style of grip and trigger control mechanics. Goes back to the whole "Beware of the man with one gun." rule.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Ok, I'll bite...
Myself- I don't care for pistol grips on SGs. It may just be my vanilla tendencies but I don't like a lot of other "add-on" type stuff either. The only thing I've found that I really like a pistol grip on is a full auto weapon and that isn't something I fool with very often. I believe in full auto the pistol grip gives a modicum of control that a standard stock does not. In pump guns or rifles I'm fine with a "regular" stock and I much prefer one for shooting prone.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Good question and great responses.

I tried a few stocks before I decided on what I like to use.

1) standard LOP standard stock: too long for me
2) short LOP standard stock: feels and handles great, difficult to tac reload.
3) standard LOP pistol grip: again too long and dificult to manipulate safety without moving firing hand.
4) short LOP pistol grip: felt perfect, natural POA, easy ready, works well with a sling (if you so choose), easy to top off while maintaining a sight picture, and was easliy fired prone flat or sideways.
5) short LOP pistol grip with Surefire vertical grip and laser:
like operating a dozer for the first time "where are all the controls?"

this was all with an 870 (of course 8) )

I understand that the Mossberg is difficult to manipulate the safety with a pistol grip. I've also heard it can be painful also.

6)A green Scattergun Technologies 870, SpecOps at it's shortest setting, Old style Surefire forend, right and left Mesa shell holders, Ghost ring night sights, and a "WTF are you doing in my house?" attitude. NOW THAT ROCKS!

·
Registered
136 Posts
BD457 said:
I understand that the Mossberg is difficult to manipulate the safety with a pistol grip. I've also heard it can be painful also.
It's a little different, with the pistol grip, but it isn't difficult or painful :D

·
Registered
36 Posts
There have been a few times were I've said to my self "You need a pistol grip on this thing buddy" :?

I feel more secure with one.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Shane916 said:
BD457 said:
It's a little different, with the pistol grip, but it isn't difficult or painful :D
It's a lot like manipulating the safety on the AK series of rifles.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I have a bum elbow from a accident, It doesn't bend far enough to use a regular stock. So with a pistol grip I can atleast shoot. Also had to lenghten the stock by 1 1/2".
My 11-87 has a Choate, one of my Mossys has a Stokshok and the other mossy has a home made PG stock. It has a gas cylinder for recoil reduction.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I find for me that is a carry/control thing. I recently installed an ATI PG/full stock on my 1300 Defender and love it. With the PG, I can do a front-style carry with the buttstock almost even with the top of my shoulder and the gun pointed down to the left at about 1 70 degree angle from horizontal. With a very quick rising of the muzzle, the stock drops quickly and neatly into mw "shoulder pocket" ready for shooting. This is also very practical if you use your HD gun for hunting (I tried mine for deer this year).

This is the type of carry I am referring to:

This is extremely comfortable and would be near to impossible with a standard stock.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have a Speedfeed PG stock (not the "gangsta/miami vice" PG only) and here's why I use it:
1. I, too, have gotten poked in the eye with my thumb on more than one occasion.
2. I carry an M4 at work, so it feels more natural.
3. low ready is much easier for me with it than a conventional stock.
4. Rapid strings feel more controlled with it.

I like the look of a plain jane, wood stocked 870 w/GR sights. I put on a Surefire forend, SF PG stock, and GR sights because it helps me perform better (shoot slugs, see at night, etc...). It's all about performance, not appearance.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Ok, I like pistol grip stocks.
Being 5'4" and 130 pounds I have a lot of trouble with standard stocks. in both length and grip under recoil.

The pistol grip stock I use is the Speedfeed IV-S. It allows me to have a positive grip on my shotgun. I sometimes have a problem with my firing hand slipping off the stock under recoil with a standard stock and heavy load slugs. Using the pistol grip I never have any problems

1 - 16 of 16 Posts