Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks! I've been fiddling with the idea of reloading, and have decided to try and get some more info before taking the plunge and buying a reloader. Here's what I know:

1) I've settled on a MEC 9000, as I do target shooting and therefore will be reloading a lot of shells per week.
2) I know I need a good scale, as the bushings/expected drops are not always spot-on.

I shoot 12 gauge, so I'm doing this more for A) Satisfaction of shooting my own loads and B) because 24 gram loads are hard to find and relatively expensive.

I'm having trouble finding recipes for 24 gram loads, and I'm totally perplexed by the array of powders, primers and wad manufacturers out there.

Cameron

·
Registered
456 Posts
Check out the Alliant powder website. As I recall they have recipes for 24 and 26 gram loads.

·
Administrator
23,326 Posts
Zeede said:
Hey folks! I've been fiddling with the idea of reloading, and have decided to try and get some more info before taking the plunge and buying a reloader. Here's what I know:

1) I've settled on a MEC 9000, as I do target shooting and therefore will be reloading a lot of shells per week.
2) I know I need a good scale, as the bushings/expected drops are not always spot-on.

I shoot 12 gauge, so I'm doing this more for A) Satisfaction of shooting my own loads and B) because 24 gram loads are hard to find and relatively expensive.

I'm having trouble finding recipes for 24 gram loads, and I'm totally perplexed by the array of powders, primers and wad manufacturers out there.

Cameron
Not to lead you astray, but I have a friend that wants to sell his lightly used 12G Mec Grabber. Do you have any interest, how about anyone else? I have not a clue yet on the asking price.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I just checked the Alliant website; they only show loads for 12 gauge 7/8 ounce loads (24.8 grams). If you want exact 24 gram loads, you'll have to get one of their free reloading guide books.

·
Administrator
23,326 Posts

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Before you jump on a reloader, make sure components are available in your area. Right now with the high cost of shot, our club has decided not to order any more...

Components are available through mail order, but the cost savings will be ate up in shipping costs. It might actually cost you more to reload than to purchase shells straight out.

If your like me, reloading is part of the hobby. Im not in it for cost savings, but reload to keep me busy doing something when I'm not out on the range. If that's your case, welcome! Its always better to know your shooting your own.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Curly-Nohair said:
Not to lead you astray, but I have a friend that wants to sell his lightly used 12G Mec Grabber. Do you have any interest, how about anyone else? I have not a clue yet on the asking price.
Thank you for the offer, but the Bass Pro near me stocks a lot of Mecs, so I don't have to pay shipping.

Cameron

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
You might have to get an additional accessory for your loader. Universal Charge Bar will permit you to adjust the weight of shot and powder dropped. This will allow you to fine tune for 24 gr. or any reasonable weight actually. With 24 gr Being close to 7/8 Ozs you can reasonably use wads and powder plus the recipes shown for 7/8 loads safely. Having a Mec allows you to adjust the seating of the wad and crimp to fine tune clear down to 3/4 ozs. Check this board for recommendations by the fellow named Case for how to set up your crimp. Loading the light weight loads will permit you to shave a bit of cost. Be prepared to buy your componenets in bulk to realize real cost savings. Good luck

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
ras1500 said:
I just checked the Alliant website; they only show loads for 12 gauge 7/8 ounce loads (24.8 grams). If you want exact 24 gram loads, you'll have to get one of their free reloading guide books.
It is there on the website. Look under "International Target Loads" Your find Alliants loading data there.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Connie's looks great. I'll submit an order after I visit my local range to see the prices and availability of the components I need.

Can someone check my "shopping list" to make sure I get prices on all the components I need?

1) Powder
2) Wads
3) Primers
4) Charge bar
5) Bushings (which ones?)
6) Base wads?
7) Scale

Is that about it? I have to figure out specific recipes for 24 gram loads later on after I see what components are readily available. However, how interchangable are components? For example, if the recipe calls for Fiocchi primers, but I only have Remington ones available, can I substitute them?

How do I make the subtle adjustment to the 7/8th oz charge bar to make it drop 24 grams?

Finally, how viable is reclaimed shot for American Trap, Skeet, Sporting Clays, and Olympic Trap?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Cameron

·
Registered
502 Posts
cameron, If you are buying a new Mec 9000, it will come with (3) bushing I believe they will be a 29, 30, and 31. To load a 24 gram/ 7/8 oz load you may need a 26, 27, 28 bushing depending on the powder you are using. These can be purchased a Sportsmans Warehouse for I believe 2.99 ea.

Primers are pretty much interchangable except when it comes to the Fed 209A. Which is a very hot primer. However I would, as being new to reloading stick to a published recipie until you get a little more experience.

Isn't a 7/8 oz load the same as a 24 gram load? Its 3:30 in the morning and I will not try to figure out the difference. but to make subtle adjustments to your 7/8oz charge bar you will either have to ream it out a tad by using a piece of wood dowel with some fine grit sand paper glued to it or with an adjustable reamer and a cordless drill. or to tighten it up a piece of tape in the shot charge hole can be added to decrease the shot drop. Or you can go with a Universal charge bar, which I think is a waste of money.

Reclaimed shot will not have all the same size pellets and some of the pellets will me deformed creating flyers in your pattern. It is usually cheaper than new shot and will work for shoting just fine for shooting practice round and on the skeet field for me. It can however sometime be quite dirty to work with. Recob's double cleans and re graphites their reclaimed shot and it was $1.02 per pound the last time I was in the shop.

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
24 grams is less than 7/8 oz. I'd suggest a universal charge bar. Dial it in to make the adjustments. But you could find away to sleeve a 7/8 bar with something to get the proper weight. You'd have to experiment.

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
Cameron,

You may also want to try and see of Bass Pro will price match an internet price. I went to a Gander Mountain last year and they price matched Promo with an online seller. You may end up with a better price if sales tax doesn't kick you over the edge.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
01lariat said:
24 grams is less than 7/8 oz. I'd suggest a universal charge bar. Dial it in to make the adjustments. But you could find away to sleeve a 7/8 bar with something to get the proper weight. You'd have to experiment.
Or, you could ream a 3/4 oz bar.... probably easier than sleeving a 7/8. Proportioning the square of the diameters to the weight change between 3/4 oz and 24 g should get you awfully close to the required diameter. Run it a little small initially, and get a weight before taking it to the final diameter.

Be aware that the weight of the shot charge may change with a different shot size..... #9 will generally throw slightly heavier than #7-1/2 or #8 from the same bar, but will generally be the same as #8-1/2.

As stated in a couple posts above, you may or may not like the universal charge bar. I tried one once.... put me in the "no" column.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Zeede, Why do you want a 24 gram load? I'd buy a 7/8 oz bar and see what it does before you get excited about 24 Gram loads. Charge bars aren't an exact science. Think most of them are regulated for #9 shot and remember Mag shot is lighter than chilled shot. So your bar may throw more by weight then you want or less. To get it to throw exactly is a big pain and unnecessary. On your shopping list ,you do not list a book on shotgun reloading. Very important. Also you list base wads.. Base wads are incorperated in the shotgun hull. It isn't something you have to unsert. Buy that book!!!

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Donwads said:
Zeede, Why do you want a 24 gram load? I'd buy a 7/8 oz bar and see what it does before you get excited about 24 Gram loads.
Olympic Trap and Skeet rules restrict loads to 24 grams. Sure, I can practice all day w/ 1 oz or 1 1/8th oz loads from WalMart, but eventually I'm going to want to practice with the same loads, to ensure more similar results at actual competitions.

Cameron

1 - 20 of 22 Posts