Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Between plastic wads, and fiber wads, which would produce more pressure? I ask because I recently started reloading, and the only way to make it worth my while for standard weight/load shells is to make my own wads. My wads are stacked 3/4" paper discs cut from empty cartridge boxes. I put 5 on top of the powder, a measure of fine sawdust as a filler, then 3 on top of the sawdust, followed by the shot. Does the amount of pressure I apply to the powder change the pressure too?

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
All depends, and if you are using a over powder paper cup seals to seal the pressure off before the fiber wad.

Hence if you are not using an over powder paper cup seal, then you going to get a lot of pressure blowing by the fiber wads isntead.

As for over powder cup seals (on the right), they work fine, and in fact with most loads, what does blow by them, is part of the math pressure of the load data anyways.

So to sum it up, the plastic type wads have a over powder type seal to them (that does work a touch better than the paper cup over powder seal), and t with the plastic wads, since they do have a collapsing section to them, your not having to come with a specific stack height volume like you would with fiber wad isntead.

Simply, the plastic wad will produce more pressure due to it plastic powder seal, but if you are staying with the established data of any load, then the standard blow by of the paper powder over cup has been worked into the math of the working pressure of the load.

If you are off the reservation and not using an established load data with established wads (be they fiber instead of a plastic wad), then time to load up 5 rounds and send it to someone to have them pressure tested isntead. Hence the paper powder over cup is going to seal the pressure so it not blowing by the fiber wads on top of it, and since the fiber wads have some compression to them at ignition, they are part of the initial pressure curb as well.

Simply, paper over cups are easy to produce, and regarding fiber wads, easy enough to cut out fiber sheets. Same even goes for paper shot cups as well. So by doing this, to produce your own cups and fiber wads of what a load calls for, you can stay within the parameters of an established load to stay save isntead.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
At 3 cents per OEM wad or 1.5 cent per replacement wad I can not see making your own a necessity. Fun and for filling yes. They may make be some great spreader loads for choked guns too.
The only way to known your actual load pressure is to have them tested. I bet you will spend more in extra cleaning supplies for your gun then you will save on wads. Great information in the above post have fun that is the the goal.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
1 1/8 oz 12 gauge shells here are 40$+13% tax. So about 45 cents a piece. I can reload that same shell for 40 cents with paper disk wads, but if I were to buy wads, clay-buster in this case, it would cost me 44.7 cents per shell. Which means almost no savings. Plus when I want to change my load, say load 1 oz, then go to 1 7/8, I don't need a whole other package of wads. It's a use and modify as I go set-up.

·
Registered
27,021 Posts
What loads are you getting for $40/flat?

·
Registered
5,721 Posts
I don't understand the OPs numbers. 45 cents apiece works out to $11.25/box. The 13% tax suggests he is in Ontario.

·
Registered
5,721 Posts
$12 /box Canadian works out to about $9.30/ US, before transactions tax. The transaction tax in the US would be ~half the Canadian/Ontario rate. The OP is paying roughly double what we're paying in the US. I'm surprised his reloading costs are not competitive with factory loads.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nebs said:
$12 /box Canadian works out to about $9.30/ US, before transactions tax. The transaction tax in the US would be ~half the Canadian/Ontario rate. The OP is paying roughly double what we're paying in the US. I'm surprised his reloading costs are not competitive with factory loads.
That's the problem with getting all of our ammo/powder/primers from "the states" as we say. The dollar takes a dive and it all goes to hell, that's the only reason reloading is now cost saving. 2 years ago I could go to Walmart and get a 100 pack of Winchester Universal shells for 29.99 plus the accursed 13% tax, the price for 20 gauge shells was the same, now it's 40.99 plus tax for 100 12 gauge shells, and 45.99 plus tax for 100 20 gauge. At that same time I looked into reloading, I would have run a deficit of .03$ (3 cents a shell), without buying wads, not I save 5 cents a shell, mind you that's only for standard velocity 1 1/8oz 12 gauge shells, 3" 1 7/8oz 12 gauge shells run about 35$ to the 25 box, about 1.58$ dollars a piece, I can load them for 61 cents. Not sure about there, but here 25lbs of shot goes for 50-55$, depending on the size, a pound of Longshot is 44$, Universal is 40$, Clays is 35-40$ for 14oz, claybuster wads are 20.99 per 500, all without tax of course. I wish we had an affordable powder manufacturer up here.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Call Lawry Shooting Sports - 905- 765-3343. It's where I get targets for my club. He also sells reloading supplies and I have trouble believing he charges the amounts you quoted. I can buy Claybuster wads from our distributor for 88/5000, or 8.80/500. Your powder prices are double of ours. We buy 8# jugs for 88$ to 125. Is there that much of a mark up ? Maybe find a club where you can join in on a order to save money. Oh, subbing in fiber wads for plastic will lower pressures, so feel safe by using plastic wad data and using fiber wads. I do it when loading short shells and it's the only way to get everything to fit.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The numbers I quoted are straight of the receipt I got at the gun shop when I got a pound of each Universal, and Longshot, and 25lbs of #4 shot. The Claybuster wad price I picked up from this site: http://www.thebulletbarn.com/shotgun.html

That's the sad reality of living in Canada, +20% (or so) for the exchange rate, plus duty, and here we have a 13% tax

·
Registered
27,021 Posts
I wish we had an affordable powder manufacturer up here.
I thought Hodgdon had moved powder making up there ?????

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
oneounceload said:
I wish we had an affordable powder manufacturer up here.
I thought Hodgdon had moved powder making up there ?????
Not that I know of, as far as I know it's all imported. The only domestically made powder I believe is Black Horn 209, a muzzle loader powder, it's going for 69.99 right now per 10 oz bottle.

·
Registered
27,021 Posts
http://higginsonpowders.com/

HIGGINSON POWDERS INC. IS CANADA'S LARGEST DISTRIBUTOR OF RELOADING POWDERS.
WE IMPORT BULK, CANNISTER GRADE HODGDON POWDERS WHICH ARE REPACKAGED INTO OUR RELOADER SIZE UNITS, CREATING AN EXCLUSIVE COST ADVANTAGE OVER OUR COMPETITION.
WITH LICENSED STORAGE MAGAZINES FOR OVER 50,000 LBS. OF POWDER, WE HAVE THE LARGEST INVENTORY OF RELOADING POWDERS IN CANADA.
http://www.imrpowder.com/history.html

One of the locations of the newly constructed plants was Valleyfield, in Canada. This plant continues to be the primary supplier of IMR Legendary Powders today.

·
Registered
5,721 Posts
Here's the deal with all that canister powder that's manufactured in Canada. It all gets exported to the US in bulk. It then gets repackaged into consumer quantities. Then, for those reloaders in Canada, it has to be exported from the US and imported into Canada. So, the fact it was originally made in Canada makes no difference, the Canadian reloaders still have to buy it from the US-based distributors like Hodgdon.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.