Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
But I'm going to ask for opinions. I know I could do a search, but frankly it brings up so much stuff it's hard to sift through. Also, I know most of you don't mind repeating advice.

Here's my deal:

55 years old. Been shooting something or other for fifty of those years. I've been shooting clays off and on for decades. Always for socialization and fun, I never will be a real competitor. I get enough of that in the real world.

I have a Urika 391 which I love. I expect I'm overall a Beretta fan as I also have several of their handguns.

As much as I love the 391 the O/U fairy has been whispering in my ear for a couple of years. Money IS an object for me and I'm pretty sure I want to stay with Beretta, mostly because I have finally learned how to spell it.

I'll be doing everything from dove and pheasant hunting to sproting clays, skeep and trap.

OK, here's the question for those who don't mind answering:

Am I right to stay with Beretta in the less than $2 K range?
If so, what do you recommend? If not, what do you recommend?

Sorry if this was long.
I appreciate your input.

·
Registered
9,154 Posts
Welcome to Shotgunworld. We don't hate you a bit.

News Shooter said:
I know I could do a search, but frankly it brings up so much stuff it's hard to sift through. .
The search engine on this site is as useless as tits on a boar hog.

News Shooter said:
I'm pretty sure I want to stay with Beretta, mostly because I have finally learned how to spell it..
I like a man with a sense of humor...

News Shooter said:
...sproting clays, skeep and trap.
...but you need to keep working on your spelling.

OK, back to the subject. (There was a subject, wasn't there?) You don't have an O/U? That's the best reason in the world to buy one, and the only reason you need. You can't go wrong with a Beretta, although I would suggest you take a look at the Sig Rizzinis which CDNN is selling off at a discount (if they still have any). I shot Beretta O/U's for years, but finally went to a Sig Rizzini. I like both brands, and I prefer shooting an O/U to an auto, but I am now competing with a 391 because I hit more targets with it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I too am 55 years old and have a Beretta Blackwing o/u that was purchased new for $1,000 this September. It is a light weight 686 model which Beretta still sells in Europe but has closed out in the U.S. You may still be able to find one at a retailer. Terrific bird gun as it is easy to carry and is quick to swing. For sporting clays I use 1 ounce loads in it to soften the recoil.

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
Get any one of the Beretta over/unders you can lay your hands on (Whitewing, 686, 687, they are all the same guts), but try and get it with a 30" barrel if possible. If not, 28" will do. If it kicks too much, or you want a steadier gun, you can always clamp on barrel weights and put some weight inside the stock. Of course a good recoil pad helps too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.