Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Trap and skeet involve clay targets being thrown from fixed directions as opposed to the variable directions oc Sp. clays.More details will surely follow...Brilliant idea follows::Since this question comes up often, maybe is time a 'sticky' was placed at the top of the forum explaining what each clay shooting discipline is ITS NOT HOW WELL YOU SHOOT, ITS HOW MUCH NOISE YOUR GUN MAKES.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Mossberg12,I assume you have shot at clay targets. How were they launched and how were they presented to you? Tell us what you've shot at and we'll tell you what game you were playing.Ordinary Trap is a target that is travelling away from you and it starts usually 16 yards in front of you. There is some variability of the direction that the target is travelling, but it is basically always heading away from you in ever increasing distance. Trap has five different stations that you shoot from, but the presentation of the target is mostly the same from one to the next. One round of trap is made up of 25 targets. All targets are presented as singles (one target per turn, one shot per target).Skeet has two "houses" that launch the targets. On your left is the "high" house and on your right is the "low" house. Each house launches the clay targets in the same way all the time. In other words, the high house always launches its targets the same way, every time. In skeet shooting, there are eight defined "stations" where you stand to shoot the target. When you change stations from one to the next, your angle to the target changes and you have to change how you hit the target (usually changing your lead on the target). One round of skeet is made up of 24 targets, plus one opportunity at an optional target (anywhere along the course).5-stand is a game that is less defined than the others (as far as I know). Where I shoot, our 5-stand has 5 stations to shoot from, and there are nine machines that can launch targets. There is tremendous variety of presentation of the targets, which makes it challenging. Also, most of the shots in 5-stand are pairs of targets, so you are loading two shells and trying to hit both targets.If you have a manual launcher of some sort, a hand thrower or other type, then that sort of simulates trap shooting, except that the target doesn't get a big lead on you before you shoot it.Hope this helps. Casual ShooterStill dreaming of the day when I am second best.Edited by: casual shooter at: 3/26/03 4:42:14 pm

·
Premium Member
2,666 Posts
DKS you are close to the answer....just about every internet forum has a search feature, that seems to never be used, and this aint a jab at Mossy, it is a problem across the net. Many of the same questions come up over and over again because either new users dont take the time or wont take the time to look over past threads or do a search of past threads to see if the question has been asked before. So many times the answers are there for the finding.Another thing that happens rather often is the same question being posed in multiple forums or multiple sites, and in some instances I can see how getting many opinions about a subject can be beneficial but the same old which is better "x" or "y" has been beat slap to death.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I have noticed, as you point out, several posts in this and other forums asking the same questions, eg C/D guns.People will post and ask everybody untill they get the answer they like, not the correct one.I also see the that the Trade gun list Marland made which is available as a sticky, is ignored by many who just prefere to ask the question and let someone else search for the answer.I still believe that things which only have one answer and do not depend on the personal oppinion of people (Ford Vs Chevy is a personal oppinion question) benefit by being easily available as a sticky. (Also a encyclopedia of common names of edible wildlife will be usefull):evil Finally, sometimes people competent with the internet and computers fail to see that a lot of people may have problems working search engines and have to try a lot even to post a question. So they might not ignore search functions because of laziness but do so because they do not know how to use them.:) ITS NOT HOW WELL YOU SHOOT, ITS HOW MUCH NOISE YOUR GUN MAKES.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.