Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've decided that I really want a SxS 20ga. I will have ~$4,000 to spend. Some of the ones I'm looking at are: Parker Reproduction, CSMC RBL Launch, Beretta 471, and Winchester M23.

This will be used primarily for dove and quail. Requirements are IC/M chokes and single trigger. Prefers are pistol grip and beavertail, these are not mandatory.

Any recommendations or comments would be appreciated.

Jim

·
Registered
11,395 Posts
Check out the Franchi Highlander before you make a final decision.

·
Registered
26,225 Posts
Those guns have different LOP's. I would try to borrow each model to see which fit best and which one "felt right" in my hands. Having shot the Beretta and RBL, both are fine guns. I haven't seen a Parker repo for that amount of money - most seem to be closer to 5K. The RBL uses a safety like a SKB, on the trigger, if that makes a difference, compared to the others that have it on the top

·
Registered
14,694 Posts
I am not aware of any big issues with the guns you mentioned. I have personally had good experiences with the Winchester and the Parker. I would add the Browning BSS to the list. Then, get the one that feels the best to you.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Gosh.. why can't I have $4000 to spend on a SXS .... :twisted: :twisted:

I don't own a Browning BSS, but the ones I have inpsected, look and feel outstanding...

·
Registered
822 Posts
If you're open minded about the configuration then why not look into a used Aya number 2, they can be found in that price range and are superb guns and a true side lock. You can get a new Ugartechea sidelock for that price as well.....or if you prefer box locks the Aya 4/53 is around $3-$3.5K new or much less used (just picked one up for $2K in nice shape.

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Personally, I'll pass on the BSS. Had one in 12 with 28" barrels and full beavertail. For all-day pheasant hunting, it was heavy. Traded it off for more than I paid for it, though. They certainly hold their value.

My bro shoots a Silverhawk 12 ga with 26" barrels; loves it. Myself, I'd really like an AyA 4/53 in 16.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the replys. I'm not a huge Browning fan. I will certainly look into the AyA though.

Jim

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
jhendri2 said:
Thanks for all the replys. I'm not a huge Browning fan. I will certainly look into the AyA though.

Jim
If you like the lithe handling of English guns then an AyA will serve you well - the AyA sidelocks are clones of English Best guns and you can certainly get a true sidelock AyA #2 slightly used for your budget. They are superb handling, nice thin wrists and very reliable.

Might be worth asking about them on the Spanish Gun forum.

I have a #2 in 20 gauge and it is truly superb-handling.

·
Registered
14,694 Posts
I would group the BSS, Parker, Beretta 471, and Winchester 21/23s into the excellent "American" style guns category. They are a bit beefier than the typical English style, and will likely hold up much better for a longer time with typical American field loads. Also, you said you wanted a single trigger, pistol grip, and beavertail forend, which practically spells American style. I prefer a straight grip and at most a semi beavertail, but at 6'-2" and over 225 for most of my life, and liking heavier loads, i prefer the tougher guns.
If you want to start looking at slim slick European style guns, that's great, but don't try to go comparing apples and oranges. It's really two totally different schools of shotgun building. They Ayas, older Bernadellis, and all kinds of others can fill the bill, but a lot of them will have double triggers and splinter forends. I had a little Bernadelli Gamecock in 20 gauge that was an absolute dream to shoot, and I have shot some lovely Ayas, I have even seen some SKBs that seemed to physically fit the mold, but I am not much of an authority on the good European guns.

·
Registered
445 Posts
If anyone is interested there is a 12 & a 20 Parker Reproduction for sale here in MS. Both single trigger guns. The 20 is supposedly unfired. Advertised at $4.250.00 each.

Not my guns & I have no interest in the sale either.

If anyone would like the seller's phone # just post a request here & I'll pass the info on.

Mike

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
Whoops! Didn't catch the single trigger requirement - that effectively rules out Spanish guns and probably should many other European including English.

Virginian is absolutely correct in his post - European and American SxSs are (generally speaking) apples/oranges.

With some notable exceptions - the Beretta Silverhawk for example. In your price range, you can get it with ST, PG and beavertail forend. It's a heavier gun with a more "American" feel. It's an Italian gun but does not have that "european" feel to it and can be customized to the American market.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I'm not much of SxS aficionado, but I've always thought the SKB SxS's looked like they were very well built, felt good in my hands and were a good value (385's and 485's). Some of them, at least, have a rib that's a bit taller, which would suit my shooting style a lot better than the low rib guns. For me, my "single plane brain" can't deal with shooting SxS's...I'm a "dyed in the wool" O/U guy, but I sure like the way a nice SxS looks and feels.

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Lot of good stuff on this thread.

I should clarify that my bro's Silverhawk has 26" pipes, splinter forearm and an English grip. IMO, it's a pretty nice compromise between the American "chunk o' gun" and the svelte, light-barreled Brit-inspired doubleguns. He uses it well and often and has run all kinds of loads through it. I've swapped with him and shot a few birds with it ... a nice little field gun. But it's definitely set up to be an upland walker.

I should also clarify that my old BSS was a boxlock model. Good gun ... just a heavy sucker for all-day walking. It was a good stretch from Greener's "ideal" formula, IIRC. I got a good trade out of it and it got me into my first of the Silver Pigeon series O/Us, so I think well of it but don't really regret letting it go.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Side by sides are great I have used them 30 years for hunting. If you want one to use and be able to hit well with it, get one that fits you. This is hard to do when buying one off the shelf. They all look good. I would have the stock made to your dimensions. Get measured by some one that knows what they are doing. I have some of the new parkers and they are great guns, however the stocks are a little short and have to much drop for me, this is the way most used side by sides are, something is just not perfect.
I'm not sure but think you could get the RBL made to your dimensions. If so I owuld go for one. I have seen one of these and the quality looks very good.
Another suggestion is to try out longer barrells. I currently have gone to 30" barrels and have been very happy with them.
Good luck

·
Registered
406 Posts
I have Beretta 471 Silver Fox in 20ga. and have never regretted the purchase. A fine handling and balanced shot gun with screw in chokes. Quick and light enough to tote all day and the quality is great.
Guess I'll recommend the Silver Fox :)

Best..John

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
I am a fan of the SxS and own 3 BSS, all of which are straight stock and semi-beaver tail configurations. In 20 + years I have never had a problem with them. I also own a Parker Reproduction 2 barrel set with double triggers, straight and splinter stock and fore piece. An AYA #2 with double triggers, straight stock and splinter grip round out my shotgun. I love them all, but since getting the 28 gauge Parker and 16 gauge AYA, the Brownings see little use unless I'm hunting Chukkar. Also, double triggers are my preference.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.