Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Well, I will take a stab at it:

It appears to me that you are in the drivers seat and you do NOT have your seat belt fastened.

You have the engine on but you are not moving. The engine is idling at about 700 RPM.

OH, you have low tire pressure in at least one tire!!

Your fuel tank is almost FULL......

You are averaging 13.1 Miles Per Gallon.............that ain't good!!! Normal?? I would not think so in this century!!!

Which vehicle is this?

·
Registered
27,021 Posts
You forgot he has a full tank of gas.................. :wink:

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
If it's a Ford Explorer Sport, you're close to baseline. My overall average was around 13 and I never could keep enough air in the 19 inch tires. The seat belt warning would come on when I contemplated hurling myself out of it to avoid paying the expenses of keeping it on the road....

So... possibly normal?

·
Banned
30,821 Posts
I hardly ever check the gas mileage on my Suburban and my Chrysler 300S.

I'm privileged to own them.

·
Registered
27,021 Posts
At least you don't think you're ENTITLED to own them..................... :wink:

·
Registered
14,316 Posts
1. So what happened to your Toyota AAVP ?

I thought you were a die hard Toyota fan, and just bought a tundra?

2. Those gauges look antique, except for the digital part. Weird, cheap looking. :?

·
Banned
8,378 Posts
3crosses said:
Well you could get that mileage with the Toyota Tundra too.
True. It doesn't sit at the chevy dealer either broke down like my last chevy.....

If it says UNION made on it I am not buying the junk.

·
Administrator
23,986 Posts
There are a lot of reasons that could lead up to that MPG reading. I am curious as to what it is if the computer is cleared and a long trip is made at interstate speeds. All it takes is a bunch of long lights or a traffic jam to drop that mileage figure in the dumper.

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
If you fill the gas tank, reset the computer to start
averaging at that point, then sit at stop lights, in
stop and go traffic, then that average is probably
normal.

If you fill the gas tank, reset the computer to start
averaging at that point, then immediately start
cruising down the highway, that average will
be much higher. When you sit still you are getting
0 miles per gallon. That really effects your overall
average.

Many things effect average mileage. I just completed
a trip across the US and back recently in my 2016
Subaru Legacy. From Las Vegas to Connecticut
heading east I averaged about 34.5 miles per gallon
of the entire trip, and this was cruising at 75 - 80
on interstates.

On my trip back heading west I averaged 31.5 mpg
driving the same speeds.

There is no telling for sure what the difference is but
my guess is that heading east I generally had tail
winds, and heading west I generally had head winds.

Overall average was probably around 32.5 miles per gallon.

Not bad for full time 4 wheel drive.

·
Banned
30,821 Posts
The last time I went on vacation with my father, that I remember, was the summer of 1970 in our brand new Chevrolet Impala two door with a 350 four barrel. The folks always bought Fords, and had all of their lives, but I was twelve that summer, and they let me help pick out the new car that hopefully I'd get when I turned 16 in a few years, and they might get another one and let me have the Chevy for my first car.

I remember so much about Yellowstone Park and Mount Rushmore, and Daddy and Mama and me, that I don't need to look at all the photographs we took on our trip to Yellowstone.

I don't remember how much mileage the Chevy got.

But I remember Daddy saying that gas was kind of high at Jackson's Hole, where he filled up.

And thank God I have no memories of my father ever driving any kind of Japanese car.

My father was usually at the head of the parade on a horse with a silver saddle at the Humansville Fall Festival, and in the lead convertible they usually had the head of the Gold Star Mothers, Mrs. Marlow.

And no Japanese cars at all, of any kind.

My family always checked on this grave, on our way to decorate my Daddy's relatives in the Humansville Cemetery.

And I ain't forgot!

And they still have the Humansville Fall Festival, and I can still see my old church steeple in the background, in this video taken about where Junior Watt's Phillip 66 gas station still stands by the old Shady Nook cafe. If there's a Japanese car in this shot, I didn't see it for all the old Detroiters.

Things hardly change in Humansville, you know?

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
My father was in WW2 also. He was in the pacific. And he visited a lot of islands, so we never had a Japanese car either. They were GMC people and every 5 years or so a new Electra 225 would show up in the driveway. I don't know why a Riviera never showed up.
But, I had a chance last year to pick up a 96 4runner 4x4 limited for 500.00. It had 200,000 miles on it and no dents, So pick it up I did, I needed a hunting truck that I wouldn't worry about messing up,
Oh the wife has a 4x4 suburban that she won't let me take hunting. Hell the damn thing has never been off road ans hasn't had a dog in it either. So the toyota is my and the dogs vehicle.

·
Registered
14,316 Posts
aavp7a1 said:
My lifted tundra pro with the 5.7 v8 got 16 on the freeway and 13 in the city and had a huge bed and tons of room.
So IOW, the Tundra gets the same mpg as the jeep. :lol:

I guess people get used to anything, but I'm used to 33 mpg, and would feel dumb dragging around all that extra weight and drag, unless I was hauling lots of outsized cargo regularly.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.