Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a Rem. 870 Express with a +2 factory extension. I would like to plug the magazine to make it legal for deer hunting. I figured to get a 1/2" dowel and cut it to length to limit capacity to 2 shells.

Good idea or not? I really don't need it to hunt with, just thought I would give it the chance to draw blood. I don't want to order a new mag cap or spring. Trying to do it on the cheap. Will my plan work without damaging anything?

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
john1911 said:
I've got a Rem. 870 Express with a +2 factory extension. I would like to plug the magazine to make it legal for deer hunting. I figured to get a 1/2" dowel and cut it to length to limit capacity to 2 shells.

Good idea or not? I really don't need it to hunt with, just thought I would give it the chance to draw blood. I don't want to order a new mag cap or spring. Trying to do it on the cheap. Will my plan work without damaging anything?

Thanks.
Shouldn't be a problem, that's exactly what I've done for waterfowl shooting (no mag limit for deer in WI)

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
The dowel should work. Or go get one of the replacement magazine caps that are available. You can get them at a lot of places. Make sure if you go that route, you get the one for the Express, not the police or wingmaster. There is one that is universal to work on all models. Police and wingmasters use a ball detent to keep the cap from backing off. Expresses use a little toothed plastic disk that engages teeth on the underside of the cap. Since you have the factory extension, you may not have the little plastic toothed disk that acts as the detent to keep the mag cap from backing off. The dowel will probably be the quickest, cheapest route.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
all hail the humble wooden dowel :wink:

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
The regulations I have seen mention disassembly of the gun to get the plug out so with the trouble of taking of a magazine clamp to get the plug out you should be just fine. Be sure you can't put more 2 3/4 shells in the magazine than what is legal for where you are. Don't just take two shells and cut your dowel that long. I have seen wardens with gee whiz shell counter devices they love to put in your gun. Having an extra long magazine tube is going to attract their attention if you are ever checked even though you have it properly plugged. There was a thread sometime ago about plugging 3 1/2 guns and somehow when wardens put in 2 3/4 inch shells people got in trouble because the plug would allow one to many of the shorter shells.

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
The dowel will work great! I've used a pencil before and that worked just fine. (I was in a jam and needed something quick!)

A 1/2" dowel will hold up a LOT better than an unsharpened pencil.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Did you go with a No. 2 or the harder No. 1?

j/k... great improv!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Plug will work just fine. Just remember that carrying a gun with an extended mag is like a really big red flag to most conservation officers, will almost always get you checked out. I always hunt with my tactical SG,but I put a short mag on first.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Jack2427 said:
Plug will work just fine. Just remember that carrying a gun with an extended mag is like a really big red flag to most conservation officers, will almost always get you checked out. I always hunt with my tactical SG,but I put a short mag on first.
Can't wait :lol:

Think he'll notice? :lol:

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
:twisted: yeah, he'll notice

1 - 12 of 12 Posts