Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off I'm new and new to shotguns. I've had one shotgun my whole life and got it for x-mas in 1980, a single shot 20ga. I have always hunted but never birds, well now I just purchased a 12ga. Super Nova and was wondering from reading on the net is it really important or only for comp use to polish the barrel ? I ask now before I fire the first load through it. Thanks in advance and don't beat me down to bad, David

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
All (or almost all) modern shotgun barrels are chrome-lined to prevent rust, and should rarely, if ever, need polishing. A good cleaning after shooting, with a solvent like Hoppe's #9, a bronze bore brush, and cloth swabs should be all you need for barrel maintenance.
Do yourself a favor and replace the factory recoil pad on the Benelli with a Kick-ezz or Limbsaver. It will make shooting a much better experience.
Welcome to SGW.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I fully agree with the above. I also believe that you mean to say "polish the chamber" (taking a drill with steel wool wrapped around and drilling the chamber for polishing). This improves reliabilty in certain shotguns with rusty or ****** chambers like 870s and 1100s, but the Nova is polished and chrome lined (polishing it could damage the chrome lining).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I also believe that you mean to say "polish the chamber" (taking a drill with steel wool wrapped around and drilling the chamber for polishing).

Yes, you are correct. Thanks for the info guys and DWT I did buy a recoil pad from a member here. It was the Benelli gel pad. I hope it works

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.