Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have experience with polychokes? I am thinking of putting one on my remington 870 and would like some opinions on how they pattern. I usually take my trusty 12ga. 3" with an IC choke to the blind for ducks and a 10 ga. fixed full choke single shot for the rare goose; just think it would be nice to only carry 1 gun that I can change the choke on and maybe just drop a couple of heavier shells in for when the geese are flying.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I posted a similar question under the General catagory. As of right now, the last post was December 20th, so you have to go to the second page of the General catagory.

The responses were positive.

·
Registered
784 Posts
My son borrowed my 1100 Magnum that I had a vented Poly-Choke installed that I use for turkey. He called yesterday on his way back from a duck hunt where he limited out. He said the Poly-Choke worked perfectly and they he found changing the choke settings to match conditions was great. He was shooting #3 steel Kent loads.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info. guys. I think I'm going to get the standard model since I hunt out of a blind or a pirouge and always with my son, so I don't want the additional noise of the vented choke to be a problem for him.
I read the review a.w.a. the opinions on the general category and it looke pretty good. :D

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
I have a poly choke on my 20ga. model 37 featherlight (first shotgun). I always liked the choke but I never used it for ducks, and I never patterened it. I do know I used to put it on Imp Mod usually because thats what I "thought" was the best choke and I seemed to break or kill what I hit pretty cleanly. I also recall when I was little, if I missed a few birds, I had to change the choke cause that had to be the reason. Kids! I haven't shot it for a few years since I now have other guns.
My dad had a model 12, 12 gauge with polychoke that he used a few times, until the damned thing fell off one day. He dropped both the dove and the choke. I would not expect that to happen with a new one - that one was an auction buy, probably it had previously fallen off and was glued/soldered on. Who knows.
I personally liked mine, but some people don't like the look of them. Another thing with the older ones, I'm not sure if they are safe to shoot with steel shot.

Jeremiah

·
Registered
10,501 Posts
My regular waterfowl gun is an A5 Magnum with a Poly-Choke II in a Japanese Invector Browning barrel. This set up gives me great patterns with both Hevishot and Bismuth.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.