Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dog points everything including a bobcat at 3' and the other day a porcupine.

Dogs locked up where we had just kicked up some chukar. I'm with my brother who was bird hunting for the first time. I send him in to the dog and call the dog to flush. Dooohhh. Comes out of the brush with a face/mouth/feet full of quills. Man what a mess.

The dog gets most of the quills out by stepping on his face and pulling, but a ton still inside his mouth, so back to the truck we go. On the way, the dog is still looking for birds, and even goes on point with a face full of quills. He's got heart that's for sure.

Went to the vet and put the dog under, and pulled all the quills(I hope). Next morning he's fine and ate all his food.

Tommorrow leave for a weekend chukar hunt and hopefully no porkies.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Ouch, that had to hurt. Glad we don't have those suckers here in NJ. We have a lot of things that will stick you, mostly politicians, but no porkies. :D

·
Registered
15,565 Posts
Been there done that. Except my Wirehair brought the porcupine back to us. HAd to hold her down and pull em out of her mouth for an hour. She jumps up and starts hunting again.

Just watch for any that abcess. I had to take her in and the vet removed three we had missed and I have found a couple more that migrated out the top of her nose.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts