Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been shopping these on-line for puchase possibly in spring.
Any brands/models that are standouts? Any to avoid? I'm looking at the 2-$300. range.
Some of the grand kids are getting ready and I can't cock my old manual thrower any more. Nor do I want to, nor does my son.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I've been impressed by the WheelyBird - https://www.amazon.com/Champion-Traps-T ... r=8-5&th=1

Bought it 5 or 6 yrs ago for a little backyard trap, and it works great. You need a 12v power source, but I just hook it up to the tractor or truck battery and it goes great.

It is not a super-powerful trap (about the same as most hand throwers) so I did wire an extension cord in to both the power and trigger lines so I could move it out a bit further.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Whirlybird 2.0. Is the way to go for 350.00. It comes with a wireless remote. I've also added the wobbler kit to mine and for the money it cannot be beat.

I also have a 7500 dollar claybot with an Atlas commercial thrower and have to admit the wheelybird2.0 gets used just as much for teaching my daughter.

DL

·
Registered
8 Posts
I like the wheelybird as well. I added the wireless remote later, which works from at least 100' away (I haven't tried farther than that). Also allows you to add a delay (up to 15 seconds) which is really handy if you are solo.

The wheels are awful so I replaced those with some from Tractor Supply.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Another vote for Wheelybird 2.0
It's tough to beat for the price and does an outstanding job. Especially when you consider the price point. The included remote makes for some interesting target presentation options that would be difficult/unsafe with a cord.

·
Premium Member
11,275 Posts
Wonder if a Long Range wireless/voice release could be rigged up ?

Reactions: AHI

·
Registered
14,546 Posts
I have a Do All and love it. Set in my yard wagon with the battery and then with the remote I can walk around and get any angle. Flings them a measured 93 yards if you crank down on the spring. Every once in a while you will need to make adjustments, so if you are not good with tools at least have a friend who is.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies. Looking at these on line, it appears that the wobble base would go between the frame with the wheels (on the weelybird) and the actual launcher and motor?
The electric supply will be running a second motor? So I'd want to upgrade the battery?

·
Registered
573 Posts
1 battery runs both. Hopefully champion comes out with a wheelie bird 3 and adds a battery basket on the frame close to the handle end.

DL

·
Registered
842 Posts
hopper810 said:
You don't need voice release. There is a dial on the receiver where you set your delay. The release delay can be set up to 15 seconds. Mine is set for four seconds. Plenty of time to push the button, drop the remote into my shooting pouch/pocket and get ready for the clay.

Most of my wheelybird 2.0 time is spent shooting solo.

·
Premium Member
11,275 Posts
Hal4son said:
hopper810 said:
You don't need voice release. There is a dial on the receiver where you set your delay. The release delay can be set up to 15 seconds. Mine is set for four seconds. Plenty of time to push the button, drop the remote into my shooting pouch/pocket and get ready for the clay.

Most of my wheelybird 2.0 time is spent shooting solo.
I like my voice release and was just curious,here is a pic of what I have/use now Atlas AT300 in the foreground and an Atlas Patriot in the background.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I have a Wheelybird with wobble base and remote. Runs on a $30 lawnmower battery from Walmart. I just put the battery in a bucket, easy to carry around. I keep it on tender when not in use. The wobble base is a $h!tload of fun.

When there are 2 of us, I load up my 20 gauge pump with 6 rounds and stand off to the side and have my friend hit the button on report for the 6 shots, what a blast with that wobbler. Never know where it's going to come out.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
I have a Champion Easybird that I bought years ago. It works great for me and I have been happy with the quality. I have used Atlas traps that are available at the range where I shoot. They are good except where everybody can use them they keep them screwed up all the time so I use my own.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Easybird here also, from years ago, with a 2x4 cart base and a remote added. Was well made. Throws about 60-65 yards. I would love to have a pair setup as a skeet range, but alas that never happened. We just use it to get in shape for hunting. Incomers from a layout blind or sitting on a bucket are the first practice of the year for me.

The only problem I can admit about the Champion Easybird is it hates feeding the Champion brand clay birds that I originally bought to go with it. They stop feeding even with 15-20 left on the stack. White Flyer, never an issue. I still have 2-4 or so 90 packs of the Champion brand bought at Dicks to used up in a trius or hand thrower, but they never get used. Newer Champion targets might feed, but I've never tried them. White Flyer's keep dropping until a very few are left, even at a sharp feed angle.

Oh, and for a remote, I hooked a telescoping FM antenna to the receiver on the thrower. The little transmitter antenna doesn't even need to be extended to throw from 100 yards, further than needed. I molded a little apoxie sculpt to the transmitter body to shape it for a rubber band connection to the gun barrel. Rubber band goes through the vent rib, and holds the transmitter securely under the barrel. So from low gun, just touch the red button on the transmitter with stretched finger on the front hand, then the transmitter is out of the way in front of the forend and out of the sight line.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've been watching pricing on Wheely Bird 2.0. Had other things going on in the spring, Now I'm seeing them in the stores for upwards of $450.+
Amazon has them for $360. shipped. It's cheaper than the MFG site. Mine should be here Sat.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I have the Wheely Bird 2.0. Great thrower. I only wish they had designed it with a battery tray so you could keep everything self contained

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Well that is something...with my homemade cart I made the battery stow right behind the thrower, tight for best carry balance, but still full motion for the pitch, and put a sliding handle right under it to pull with. Slide the full length handle out and it cuts the load greatly. My tray is big enough for a 29 series deep cycle, just because that is what I always had in the way of portable batteries. It would run on much less of course.

Maybe they weren't sure how big to make the tray...I can see that being an issue. Avoid those complaints about too small or too large a tray by not making one. Or a consumer safety issue that someone might leave it plugged in and turned on while moving?

Anyway, I wanted the battery on there. I can pull it around with a full stack, carefully on rough lawn, but someone still needs to carry the extra cartons of clay birds, so it is not completely self contained I suppose. I prefer to move it long distance with battery on but empty or only half full of clay birds. Putting the battery right on the cart beats carrying it separately for sure, particularly if you move the thrower often for different presentations.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
I just looked at the 2.0 ad/pics. They have really trimmed that of a lot of metal since the easybird. All the internals are exposed to the elements. The way they did the handle precludes any battery tray. I don't see any pics with a battery in use, even.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts