Shotgun Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Update on my new toy: It's assembled and tested as much as I can in my small backyard. I'd hosed off some outdoor door mats and tried using them to stop the clays from about 20' away. Never did hit them. It threw 2 at once, as rabbits, one hit the board fence and one gently went into my neighbors tree. Had some feed problems probably from not having the birds resting against the magazine tubes. Once I added some wood under the wheels it seemed to work better.
I had an old "doc box" I pulled out of a dumpster (jeez, that long ago?) 40 years ago that I converted to a battery box that I attached to the handle. Will also find out tomorrow how long that battery will run the thrower. Pix when I know it all works.
Here's the battery:

More news as it happens.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I guess if Wal mart didn't creep me out so much, I'd have been in there more and seen that price.
Here's the battery I picked:

I don't know how long or how many throws I'll get out of this. I only ran it for maybe an hour total.
I was concerned about the big clips so I made this HDPE separator and added some space connectors so they'd have something to hold onto.

Here's the box the battery goes into. It's an old truck "doc box" I've had sitting around for (Oh My) forty years. I cut and folded the bottom so it's flat and bolted it to the handle.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Have an easy bird, very happy with it. Maybe a bit more $ than wheelybird. Also had damage to throw arms from shipping and champion replaced the parts quickly w/o problem. Good service.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I bought one of the do all or champion electric traps. Don’t remember the brand. It worked great..for about three sessions then it crapped out. My son took the electrical box apart and fixed some wiring and it worked a couple more sessions and broke again. I ordered an Atlas AT50 and couldn’t be more happy with it. Mounted on a cart and keep it in the shed. Works every time.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I bought one of the do all or champion electric traps. Don’t remember the brand. It worked great..for about three sessions then it crapped out. My son took the electrical box apart and fixed some wiring and it worked a couple more sessions and broke again. I ordered an Atlas AT50 and couldn’t be more happy with it. Mounted on a cart and keep it in the shed. Works every time.
At $849.00 It oughta

·
Registered
84 Posts
Great idea for a battery box on the handle! That will be my next project.

First off.
I love my wheelybird. It throws a great target. Mine is an older model that wasn't wired for a wireless remote. With some help from a fine gentleman on this site. I finally figured out how to hard wire the wireless remote to my older machine. The remote does work but with very limited range. I might have damaged the antenna wire or something during the installation & figuring out the wiring?

I did lengthen my foot peddle wire with lamp wire to about 200 feet. It works great other than dragging the cord around.

Over all I love the machine. My next purchase will be the wabble base.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
I did my easybird years ago - $10 transmitter/receiver off ebay - but I later put an old FM antenna on it and it will activate from well over 125 yards. Pretty sure I did that because the signal was weak with just the stock transmitter/receiver system. It needed the button held down for about 1/4 second to throw. At times I could see/hear it move a bit, for a tenth of a second, then stop, even close by. Then I'd have to release and press again to finish the throw. The stronger antenna on the receiver fixed that completely, plus extended the signal range past the thrower's range. My only concern was catching crosstalk from someone's garage door opener.

First I had tried a 16ga wire alligator clipped to the transmitter antenna. That helped some. But not enough. Easy enough to try.
Open the receiver and there should be a little tiny wound wire antennae. I forget how exactly I did it, crimp or solder or an actual lead, yours will be different anyway, but I managed to do it without much trouble. So I'd suggest trying that.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts