Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will there be a difference in the force of the shot (Long Range) ? (ported will reduce muzzle jump since gases will be diminish, less force ?)

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
It is my understanding that the ported barrels/chokes were to reduce felt recoil, muzzle jump and slow down the wad so it will not blow your pattern. This is accomplished by boring the ports so that escaping gasses are thrusting in the opposite directions of what it would normally happen. The forward thrust of the shot has already gotten all of it's momentum before any of the porting actions take place.

So to answer your question; No it should not effect range.

There will be an engineer along shortly to explain.

G

·
Porting reduces muzzle jump a little. I do not think it has much or any effect on velocity. It does make a lot of noise, and it does not reduce recoil much, so I don't think it is a good thing for a hunting gun. I know I would prefer to hunt with someone that does not have a ported gun.

·
Registered
285 Posts
"I know I would prefer to hunt with someone that does not have a ported gun."

The BEST reason to NOT have a gun with ported bbls for hunting--consideration for your hunting buddies ears.

G

·
I've got a ported (Angle Ported by Ballistics Specialities), 12 Ga Beretta O&U, that I use for hunting and Sporting clays.

Muzzel jump is reduced, BUT not a hellava lot. I can't honestly say it is any quicker for me to get on the bird for the 2nd shot.

Felt Recoil MAY be reduced by 10% to 15%.

Patterns are probably 20% more even and have a "less dense" center core.

Increased noise level is there, but not so much that it is a problem. Worst case would be in a confined duck blind-- clays & open field shooting (pheasant etc.) it is not a consideration.

Is it worth the money?.............. not as far as I'm concerned.
Better to take the same dollars and have your gun (gun stock) PROPERLY fitted to your specific requirements.

Just some opinions from an 'ole geezer.

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
Geezer,
Thanks for the post, I'd like to invite you to sign up for our site and share you obvious knowledge. Plus we'd like to get you a proper handle, although I've taken a liking to Geezer.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
I've had my 12ga. O/U pro-ported by Mag-na-port. Worth the money, yes. I use my O/U for both hunting & sporting clays. My hunting reloads are a little hotter (1255fps) than a field load (1220fps). The ported barrels makes my O/U recoil like shooting a auto. Before I had them ported I wouldn't shoot the hunting reloads, to much abuse on the shoulder. I've been thinking about having my 390 barrel ported & backbored. As for is it any louder, no. Porting does not increase noice level. The ports are angled back from the end of the barrel which will send some report back to the shooter/stand-bys. This is what makes it sound louder. Check out Mag-Na-Port website, all the info is there. Keith

G

·
"Porting does not increase the noise level, it just makes it sound louder".

Okay, I give. Could you please explain that one?? Sounds like some political statements I have head lately.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Porting does not increase noice level. The ports are angled back from the end of the barrel which will send some report back to the shooter/stand-bys. This is what makes it sound louder.

Ports are cut in the sides of the barrel and they are angled back. Sending some of the report back. The blast (report) is not any louder, it's just redirected. Hope that helps. Keith

·
Registered
59 Posts
Went dove hunting with a guy with a citori with ported barrels thing was load as hell.

Other than that don't know squat on ported barrels.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My doubts are clear now (have a lot of answers and opinions), will work from there. My concern was velocity. If ported barrels are loud, sure, it's like a rifle with and Accubrake. Always use hearing protectors and case solve.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts