Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another member here suggested to me that ported shotguns are not really that helpful as far as muzzle flip is concerned. Seems like you can't get a Mossberg 835 without a ported barrel for upland birds. What has your experience been?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Oh Yes ya can... Just ask em!
I just called em for a non-ported replacement. They got em....
Great service, and prices are less than on thier website! $119, shipping $9

·
Registered
285 Posts
Bushman, it depends upon what "that helpful" means. Porting WILL reduce the muzzel flip--how much depends upon several factors, length of barrel, shell load, and mounting style.

But I think the most important is the preception of the shooter. Go to a competitive skeet shoot and see home many shooters have their guns--even, sometimes the 28ga and 410--ported. They don't do it because it is free!

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Why wouldn't you want a ported Mossy 835 ulit-mag?

This is a gun designed for shooting heavy loads, a 3-1/2in magnum load kicks pretty darn good. LOUD... whats that you say?..... Yes they are loud! You don't really notice this in the field I find, when shooting at waterfowl, but it does turn a few heads when you are on the trap range. :shock: But then again, everyone should be wearing ear protection...

As far as barrel rise, it really helps. I managed a triple on some greater Canada's last week, and I dont think I could have done it shooting the heavy waterfowl loads, if I had the barrel flipping.

It's a great firearm for the money! Tough in the field, light kick on the trap range with target loads. Buy with confidence. :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts