Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
MRPOWER's "wild stab" is right on. Only with extremely inadequate pitch will the pattern have a small chance of lowering with the use of a positive, tapered spacer (thick end at the top.)

Given a number of assumptions, lowering the height of the eye relative to the height of the rib is what lowers the pattern's point of impact.

Using a tapered spacer to make the recoil pad or butt make more even contact (top to bottom) with the shoulder is the purpose of tapered spacers.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies.

I was looking for an easy way out before I either lowered the comb myself or pay someone hard earned money to do it.

I'm just trying to get it to shoot flatter.

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Rather than lowering the comb, you could raise the rib. This can be done with what is known as an "add-on" rib. These ribs area available in either delrin (a space-age plastic) or aluminum.
The delrin ribs are available for less than $100.

Both types attach to the existing rib by means of an entirely satisfactory two-sided tape and come in a number of heights. Trial and error using balsa strips will determine the height you need.

Add-on ribs have been used by trap shooters for years.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Bob white, Please tell me again why you think you need to lower the comb. I am really surprised that someone needs to lower a comb; most need to raise it. What are you shooting, and how is it set up? My gun is set up so I am a quarter inch above the rib, and it is great. I do not raise my head to see targets and when I am shooting the way I know I should, I center the targets in the pattern. I find it hard to imagine that you really need to lower a comb. Tell me what you are shooting and how you have the gun set up, please. Floyd in Vienna

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Rollin Oswald said:
Rather than lowering the comb, you could raise the rib. This can be done with what is known as an "add-on" rib. These ribs area available in either delrin (a space-age plastic) or aluminum.
The delrin ribs are available for less than $100.
Are the add-on rib extensions suitable for a field gun?

Can you list a couple of suppliers? I was sent to trapshooters.com to find them, but all I found was pages of links. I looked until I had a headache. I Googled until I was worn out, too, and only found one supplier (in Australia!).

Thanks for any help,
desmobob

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Vie said:
Bob white, Please tell me again why you think you need to lower the comb. I am really surprised that someone needs to lower a comb; most need to raise it. What are you shooting, and how is it set up? My gun is set up so I am a quarter inch above the rib, and it is great. I do not raise my head to see targets and when I am shooting the way I know I should, I center the targets in the pattern. I find it hard to imagine that you really need to lower a comb. Tell me what you are shooting and how you have the gun set up, please. Floyd in Vienna
I purchased one of the Yildiz MX clay guns. From th factory it comes with a Monte Carlo stock, and it is pretty high. It is completely stock, haven't done a thing to it.

Patterned and it was roughly 70/30. I want it to be 55/45 or as flat as I can get it. Hence the questions on lowering the POI.

I like the suggestion above about raising the rib height. I made a rib today that raises the front bead about 1/4 of inch. I'm gonna try to run out to the range tomorrow and give it a try.

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
I believe it was Moneymaker who sells aluminum add-on ribs but I don't remember who sells delrin ribs. I'll put a thread on ts.com and let you know in a day or so.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Rollin Oswald said:
I believe it was Moneymaker who sells aluminum add-on ribs but I don't remember who sells delrin ribs. I'll put a thread on ts.com and let you know in a day or so.
Thanks, Rollin.

Good shooting,
desmobob

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
I forgot to answer the question if add-on ribs would work on field guns. Than answer is yes, providing the gun already has a rib. Add-on ribs are not designed to attached to plain barrels.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts