Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up my SX405 today. I cleaned all the factory greaes off of it and lightly oiled it. When I picked it up for the first time it felt great and no weird sounds. But after lubing it, the piston floats around the barrel when the bolts open. I can feel it and hear it when I bring the gun up or down. I know it wasnt doing this before. I havent fired it yet and am hesitant to with it sliding around like that. Any ideas as to why this is happening? Too much oil maybe? I checked for any missing parts, oring, etc but its all there. It doesnt slide when the bolts closed and hopefully thats all that matters.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Glad to tell you, your Verona is working the way it was designed to work.. If you did not hear that sliding (or rattling) piston sliding back and forth with the bolt open, then you would need to worry. The reason you did not hear it before you cleaned it , is because the heavy shipping grease (or oil) was preventing it from moving freely. It will never slid back and forth with bolt closed because it can,t. It is held tight in place by the spring. If my memory serves me well, you can read in the owners manual about this. It states to check for proper operation, to do what you did. Open the bolt and turn the gun up and down to listen for the piston moving freely. Hope this helps and you enjoy your Verona. William

·
Premium Member
20,273 Posts
That's nothing to be concerned with. All gas autoloaders that I'm aware of will do the same thing.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you. I kind of assumed that it was normal but just wanted to check it out. Here is another question... the manual says the operating lever will just come out of the bolt by pulling it. I cant seem to get it out of the assembly. Anyone else have this problem?

·
Premium Member
20,273 Posts
You are not pulling hard enough. They can be hard to remove the first time.

Lay the gun on its left side on a padded table or bench. Put some penetrating oil around the base of the handle. Wait about 15 minutes. Then hold the gun down with your left hand on the receiver and grasp the handle with a thin rubber pad in your right hand. Give a sudden hard PULL upward. It should come out.

·
Registered
104 Posts
It can be tricky first time you do it. It is only held in place with a spring clip, but the bolt has to be in a certain position or you will pull your head off and accomplish nothing. Lay it on it,s side and work the bolt back and forth (open and closed) till you see the notch in the bolt line up with the handle and then pull straight out. It should come out easy then. Alot easier to do with the barrel removed and the pressure from the recoil spring released. Hope this helps. William

·
Registered
17 Posts
The magazine plug will slide up and down as you raise and lower the muzzle as well, mine came installened, didn't move before shooting last thursday, got home cleaned and reassembled and noticed the noise when raising/lowering muzzle took gun back apart and plug fell out. It comes out the end of the magazine. I saw it at first cleaning and pushed on it but it didn't move I though it was just a "plug" in the end magazine, but it ended up being the. Too many plugs in my description, but hope you can figure it out.

The piston assembly moves slightly when raising and lowering muzzle but I didn't notice any noise there. 150 round last week, another 175 ready to shoot this weekend. Loving my sx405. David

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks to everyone for all the replies. I finally got the operating lever out and am on my way to the range to shoot some sporting clays right now. Planning on putting about 100 rounds through it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The SX405 shot very well, unfortunatley I did not. I had a couple minor jams but I kind of expected that with the combination of 27 degree weather and shooting 100 1 1/8 oz loads the first time out. The bolt release button was hard to push down but I'm not sure if it was becasue my hands were completley numb, the cold, or maybe I just didnt lube it enough. Overall, I am very pleased with the performance of this gun. Firing six rapid shots with a semi automatic shotgun is a hell of a feeling.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Jrw2692 said:
The SX405 shot very well, unfortunatley I did not. I had a couple minor jams but I kind of expected that with the combination of 27 degree weather and shooting 100 1 1/8 oz loads the first time out. The bolt release button was hard to push down but I'm not sure if it was becasue my hands were completley numb, the cold, or maybe I just didnt lube it enough. Overall, I am very pleased with the performance of this gun. Firing six rapid shots with a semi automatic shotgun is a hell of a feeling.
Go to Gander Mountain or anyplace and tell them you would like an aluminum follower for your 12 g. . .that solved my jamming problems I had with mine. I picked one up at Gander for $4.00.

I forget who to thank for that tip on this board about the follower, but thanks!!! :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.