Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may get removed by administration but I shoot every kind of clays I get the chance to. That said, I was venturing on trapshooters.com and saw a skeet question posted there. I clicked on it to see if I could help and the people there were berating this poor guy about asking a lowly skeet question on an all trap site. I was just thinking if some of the members here could post a few skeet questions on their site to show them we skeet shooters are not second class citizens after all. I hope this stays here long enough for at least a few people to read it.
Rhett

·
Registered
5,723 Posts
trapshooters is a great site. Lots of good info on guns and shooting. There is however a fairly strong cadre of folks there who still carry a pretty strong dislike toward skeet shooters. I have no idea why there is such animosity between trap and skeet, but there is. Most of the posters over there are fine - but there are a few that are very intolerant.

I try to stick to guns and reloading questions over there, as there is a pretty good knowledge base.

With just the occasional pot stir :)

john

·
Registered
18,098 Posts
Eh, if they haven't tripped over their walkers or run the batteries down on their hoveround,you'll usually find that trapshooters have their panties in a knot. We have some good ones here on SGW, but in my experience that's the exception rather than the rule.

·
Premium Member
19,694 Posts
Well, the name of the forum is TRAPshooters.com not SKEETshooters.com or CLAYSshooters.com so they have no obligation to make anyone feel welcome unless they want to.

While I don't agree with their attitude toward skeet shooters, it is a private site and as such they can do what they want to with it. Posting there (just like posting here) is a privilege, not a right.

I suggest that you do your posting here at the friendliest shooting forum on the net. Why even attempt to go somewhere where you are not wanted?

·
Registered
5,800 Posts
I'm not familiar with the online culture over there, but my guess is rather than embracing our skeet posts they'd probably see them as a deliberate 'forum invasion'.

Best to honor their code of conduct and leave them be.

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, you are right and I wouldn't post a question there for anything. It was done sort of as a joke but I wanted to see what the response would be. The trap shooters on here are mad at me (some of them) and saying I have a chip on my shoulder. I assure you I don't have a chip on my shoulder, just want to see new shooters join in our great sport. I know you will always have clubs where you have to $$$ coming out of your ears to shoot there, but it doesn't hurt to be nice.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I've never understood the division between the different shooting disciplines. I started out shooting trap and met a lot of really great people while doing so. I can say the same thing about skeet.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
on the rift between skeet and trap....
trap started in europe.
skeet started in usa.
some still support the queen and act accordingy...and dont even know it.
the others dont.
the skeet shooters are the 'others.' :wink:
fair assumption?

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Eh, if they haven't tripped over their walkers or run the batteries down on their hoveround,you'll usually find that trapshooters have their panties in a knot.
This statement is a prime example of a derogatory attack on Trap Shooters by a Skeet Shooter. I think that this statement is based with prejudice from colloquial observations.

There are more young shooters (under 18) in the USA participating in Junior Trap Shooting Programs than the total active membership of NSSA, combined.

When I think of top Trap Shooters, Tank Lunsford and Chad Cooley come to mind. These men have amazing physical strength and I would pit them against anyone on this forum in an arm wrestling contest.

drsfmd,
Do not take my comments as a personal attack. There has always been a senseless bias between some uninformed members of both Trap & Skeet that I can't understand.

·
Registered
8,531 Posts
I kind of like it over there. I never have a problem. I notice our friend Baron 23 is received well over there also. If you think they are all a bunch of bitter old ******** without humor, read the thread about the weight of trapshooters. It shows that they can laugh at themselves as well as at those of us who supposedly wear pink undies. I also sold a gun over there in a day or two at the asking price and bought a set of Krieghoff skeet barrels for a great price.

·
Registered
68 Posts
When I think of top Trap Shooters, Tank Lunsford and Chad Cooley come to mind. These men have amazing physical strength and I would pit them against anyone on this forum in an arm wrestling contest.
Thats a pretty bold statement. I don't know either of the gentlement listed above. I am not a huge guy but have won more than my fair share of arm wrestling contest. I am also thinking there are some guys in skeet (Chris Simmons from Oklahoma comes to mind) that look like they may extend someones arm. Although arm wrestling ability has pretty much nothing to do with being a good shot.

Sure there are youth trapshooters but there are also alot of good young skeet shooters out there as well. Take a look at some of the skeet shooting reviews and there are alot of younger guys and gals winning some really big shoots/shootoffs these days.

I personally have nothing against trapshooters. Although I think that the handicap of starting off in B class for new shooters is somewhat strange. I like the way skeet puts someone in a class based on their averages after their initial shoot or monthly targets, this gives newly registered shooters a better chance to compete in class and possibly win something or see their name posted on the leaderboard. Which in turn, at least I would think, would lead to more people sticking around and not getting discouraged after the first couple of shoots.
The biggest thing I don't like about the trap game is the pass bird crap. Can you imagine in the game of skeet if someone stepped up to H2 and got beat by a bird so he didn't shoot at it and he just gets to reshoot it as if nothing ever happened :shock:

·
Registered
392 Posts
That other website is a difficult one to enjoy IMHO. It is a resource for gun sales if you need one. It's just not as well organized as SGW.
They disscuss everthing on there not just trap shooting. Whether that gives them the right to hammer someone looking for help is debatable. There are some good guys on there. Just outnumbered by some who are not pleasent for the sole purpose of just being argumentative.
If it is not to your liking. Then it's always best to walk away from anything. Life is way too short and unpredictable.

Shoot well

·
Registered
7,643 Posts
I have to agree with Lowgun and John H. I participate just a bit over there, seem to be well accepted, but usually I only post on subjects not shooting discipline specific. In fact, I really don't read the very trap specific threads (e.g. "7 1/2's or 8's"...that's right up there with our "what choke is best for skeet" LOL) as its not my intererst, just as they are probably for the most part not interested in skeet specific discussions.

I do not start skeet shoot threads there because it does say Trapshooters.com. On the other hand, there are LOTS of posts about politics, cars, recipes for game, Obama's country of birth, you name it. But it really isn't the place to discuss very skeet specific topics like "what's my problem with H2".

I don't particularly care to tolerate the rather constant "pink tutu wearing skeet shooter" crap either. Mostly I just let it go with the understanding that God did not see fit to distribute equally the gift of intelligence. Every once in a while I will jump in on a thread about the skeet bashing but its truly a waste of time.

Same goes with this site. In life, on-line or not, we will sometimes have to just bear up to the presence of the uninformed, the willfully ignorant, and the just plain stupid.

I have met many wonderful people on ts.com, have made purchases and sold things with some real gentlemen, and in general think that David does a great service to shotgunning by keeping TS.com up and running.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Zac Crawford said:
Eh, if they haven't tripped over their walkers or run the batteries down on their hoveround,you'll usually find that trapshooters have their panties in a knot.
This statement is a prime example of a derogatory attack on Trap Shooters by a Skeet Shooter. I think that this statement is based with prejudice from colloquial observations.

There are more young shooters (under 18) in the USA participating in Junior Trap Shooting Programs than the total active membership of NSSA, combined.

drsfmd,
Do not take my comments as a personal attack. There has always been a senseless bias between some uninformed members of both Trap & Skeet that I can't understand.
I thought the comment was amusing.
I shoot mostly skeet, but I enjoy many shooting disciplines. Don't take the kidding too seriously folks. At my clubs the two groups have fun razzing each other. It is all done in jest.
Militant trap shooters are a drag, and militant skeeters are too...we just dress better. :mrgreen:
I also belong to TS.com, but I prefer it over here on SGW. :B3
We talk about all kinds of topics here. I keep it to trap on TS.

·
Registered
18,098 Posts
Zac Crawford said:
This statement is a prime example of a derogatory attack on Trap Shooters by a Skeet Shooter.
All done in fun my friend... all done in fun.

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I need to clarify a few things. I never intended anyone to really post on ts.com. I just wanted to know if the skeeter hating trappers was on every site or just that one. I am new to skeet and was unaware of the hating between the groups. I posted here on the trap shooting forum and found several really nice trap shooters. The few I had met before were not so nice, but that is life. If I offended anone on here I apologize. I am not a troll and was not trying to start to a fire. Wow, this was a real touchy situation. I will have to watch what I ask from now on. LOL. Thanks for the help and education.
Rhett

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
I also regularly post on there, but usually the questions are about shells, chokes, etc. gun specific things vice questions about a specific shooting discipline. If I'm a 100% sporting clays shooter, I see no reason why to not ask about whether shell brand X, Y, or Z is a good target load. Also, there are some die-hard shooters of brand X gun or brand Y gun who usually provide good advice on their repsective guns. Additionally, TS.com is where I found info on Weaver Leathercraft. He made my shell pouch, belt and shooting bag and it is awesome!!!

The For Sale section is a very good marketplace for picking up things. It's the only place I have seen folks selling K80 Ti chokes for a reasonable price as well as Americases...on a somewhat regular basis. People post some very good deals on some high end guns as well.

The politics thread is to be avoided. Some of the postings can be downright racist. But as stated above, it's a private site so it is what it is.

·
Registered
703 Posts
When discussing the differences between the two sports, an old skeet shooter told me(paraphrase)........
{ Skeet shooters stay in front of the target, trap shooters are "yella" they shoot em in the back} :lol:

·
Registered
13 Posts
I am only just getting started in Trap and Skeet, but so far the people I have meet at the trap range and the skeet range have all been very nice and accommodating people. Everyone jokes around and they are all happy to give a newbie like myself and my son advice. There are a few bad apples in every bunch, but so far, I've only meet the good ones and I have no complaints about the trap people or the skeet people. All in all we are there to shoot and having fun, to me, thats what its about. If I'm not enjoying myself why do it.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts