Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a/the simplest, most fool proof powder and primer wad combination for reloading 28 ga and 20 ga skeet and upland bird loads. I tried reloading once five years ago for a 12 ga and gave up. I am willing to buy what is needed but there are a LOT of choices. I just want one Powder Primer Wad combination for each gauge to start with. I want whatever will be the most FOOL PROOF (me) and the most flexible for 20 and 28 gauge. (If the powder worked in 410 too it would be a plus)

Primers: I have 1000 CCI 209 primers and 42 Winchester 209 primers. I can leave these in the box or use them. What is the simplest most common primer (all seem to be available).

Powder: I have seen many powders mentioned in the posts. I will be loading ww aahs for 28 and probably the same for 20 ga but will go to the remington sts for the 20 ga if they are better (whatever is easiest). Either way, my current hull count is 50 28ga WWHS hulls. I will buy shells and shoot them to get more hulls (and look for the 20's we select at the skeet range).

Wads: The most foolproof. I will use clones, brand names, whatever works.

Again,
Hulls: WinAAHS for the 28 and your pick for the 20 (really for the 28 as well)
Primers: Winchester Remington or CCI?
Powder: Long Shot, International, Clays, what?
I need one combination for each gauge to get started and I shouldn't pick it without advice. I already tried that. thanks rc

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Based on the cost of factory stuff, you will gain the most benefit of starting out loading the 28 ga. You have a good start concentrating on a really good hull the Win AAHS. Any good primer will work OK. The CCI you have are a good place to start. ( I use Fiocchi myself based on cost). As a powder choice a lot of people are saying good things about Alliant 20/28. 20/28 may work out for you for both gauges 20 and 28. Wads - there aren't many choices in the 28. The factory Win AA28HS or the Claybuster clone CB5034-28HSA. Based on cost try the Claybuster. Once you gain confidence on the 28 ga. Getting into another gauge like the 20 ga will not seem so daunting. Get a good reference like the LYMAN'S book. There are good on-line references at Hodgdon or Alliant websites. Do you shoot with anyone who reloads maybe they can help get you started. Once you get started, shotshell reloading is not that big a problem. The problem is getting past the anxiety of fear of making a mistake.

·
Registered
10,358 Posts
Rhouser,
Nothing could be better for 20 and 28 than Alliant's new 20/28 powder. Works very well in both gauges and is dense enough to allow easy loading in the AA HS 28 ga. cases. Hodgdon's Universal is also a good one.

Primers. The most universally used primers are the Winchesters. The CCI's are very close in performance to the Winchesters so will work fine. The Remingtons will also work, although a tad milder than the others.

Hulls. The 28 ga. AA HS hulls are the best 28 ga. hull for reloading available today, so I would go with those. In 20 ga. The Remingtons are far and away the better hulls. Any Remington hull including the STS's and Gun Clubs and all Shur-Shot branded hunting and sport loads. All are 1 piece hulls and all load with STS data.

Wads. For the 28 ga. AA HS cases, use the Claybuster CB5034-28HSA wad.
For the Rem. 20 ga. hulls use the Claybuster CB1078-20 wad or the Orange Duster wad

THere are other components available, but these are the most common, and are probably available to you locally. Once you have aquired the components, and know exactly what you are going to use, come back here, or PM me and I'll give you load data, based on the exact components that you have.

DLM

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Part way there. I just ordered 2 10 packs of 28 ga. Winchester AAHS 9 shot from Gamaiels (?) at 8.99 a box because they had them. I ordered the Claybuster CB5034-28HS wads and the the Claybuster CB1078-20 wads for the 20 ga remington STS hulls from midway. DL Marcum, I hope the 28 ga wads are the right ones, they don't have an A on the end of the number. I believe I can get the remington 20's locally for about the same as ordering in so I will buy them here. I will use the cci primers since I have them and they are ok. Now I will go powder shopping (locally). Alliant 20/28 will be my objective. I am making progress (and I get to shoot 20 rounds of skeet before reloading) after my shipment arrives. Again, thanks to all. rc

·
Registered
17,955 Posts
Good advise so far. My experience with 20/28 is very limited, it may indeed be the answer to the 20-28 ga question. I'll continue to use Longshot and as a second choice Universal or Unique in 28 ga AAHS hulls and the CB AAHS style wad, or the Remington or the Federal, or the Gualandi. As a last resort the WW wad, it's to pricey for my blood, same with the Remington and Federal 28 ga wads. Claybuster is the one to get if possible.

I for one do not like the STS 20 ga hull. It is OK, but not all it's cracked up to be in my experience. I wouldn't go out of my way to get them. I've not loaded any 20/28 in 20 ga so I do not know how it works, but I suspect OK. I use Universal and Unique in all my 20 ga loads with both kinds of AA and Remington hulls. I've not had good luck with any body's AA style 20 ga wad, be it the Duster Orange, Claybuster or WW white. I get lousy fit and poor loads in every hull except the old AACF hull, and then only in the very old light yellow ones with the ring around the base. My go to 20 ga wad is the DRV-20.

There is no powder appropriate for the .410 that is appropriate for either 20 or 28 ga. Whole 'nother tin of tuna here.

BP

·
Registered
10,358 Posts
rhouser,
Those CB5034-28HS wads will have a sticker on the bag with the letter "A" in it. Claybuster must have had thousands of the older bags without the A on them and so just added the sticker, apparantly to use up the bags.

BP's dislike for Rem. 20 ga. hulls is a bit unusual, and most reloaders like them better than the AA's.

The reason BP likes the DRV-20 versalite wad so well is because it works best in the AA HS 20 ga. cases, which have a tad less capacity than the Rem's. THey do indeed work well in AA HS cases.

So, don't worry about it at all. What you have coming will work fine.

DLM

1 - 6 of 6 Posts