Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I've got my little 600 jr in 12 gauge and was looking at some other goodies for it. Enter the powder baffle. Is this a needed item or just another gee whiz that's neat item?

·
Registered
753 Posts
Junkers, With almost all powder except the very fine powders that are most often used with 410's it isn't necessary to prevent powder migration between the charge bar and housing. The stock gaskets with your MEC are sufficent. One thing it does do for you is helps somewhat with more consistant powder drops, especially when the powder bottle is near empty. How much it helps I'm really not sure. I have the PC baffle on all of my loaders primarily for helping with a static electricity problem. Static electricity is another problem altogether and the baffle is only one thing I use to combat that but we won't get started down that road.

In short. If you aren't using very fine grained powder like Alliant 2400 or Winchester 296 then you probably don't need the powder baffle.

Dan

·
Registered
7,159 Posts
As already noted, the red plastic PC Baffle is an absolute necessity for .410 powders, but for others its main advantage is that its one-piece construction eliminates the need for rubber washers, brass grommets and all that other easily lost crap MEC puts between a powder bottle and the charge bar.

In my view, that alone makes the PC Baffle worth the five bucks it costs no matter what powder you're using.

It's a good item to include in an order with other stuff, so you don't pay more for shipping the thing than it costs.

·
Registered
10,358 Posts
The red plastic PC Powder Baffles may not be an absolute necessity in some cases, but they do add some desirable things to all presses.

1) They eliminate the need or use of the brass washers and rubber grommets that are a continual PITA.

2) They eliminate powder migration when using ball powders or any fine grained powder.

3) They eliminate the binding at the brass washer/grommet area, making the charge bar slide easier and eliminate short powder drops on Progressine presses.

4) They promote better and more consistant powder drops throughout all various levels of powder in the powder bottle.

There is so much advantage there that they are easily worth the $6 that they cost, even if powder migration isn't one or your problems. I wouldn't be without them on my presses, single stage or progressive.

They are available at most distributors of reloading supplys and are available from most venders at registered shoots.

Also available at Recobs and Gamaliel's.

DLM

·
Registered
949 Posts
I like the metal baffle Gamaliel sells, set up just as the instructions say. It is my experience that I get a very consistant drop on every load. I use them on all my loaders in all gauges.

I won't say it's wrong to not use one, I just measured a lot and found the baffle tends to make the drops stay much closer to the desired weight.

I also have no powder loss between the bar and bottle.

·
Administrator
23,334 Posts
3200 said:
I like the metal baffle Gamaliel sells, set up just as the instructions say. It is my experience that I get a very consistant drop on every load. I use them on all my loaders in all gauges.

I won't say it's wrong to not use one, I just measured a lot and found the baffle tends to make the drops stay much closer to the desired weight.

I also have no powder loss between the bar and bottle.
Maybe not right away, but probably later, you will start having trouble with irregular drops caused by that metal baffle. I have seen it happen too many times. I don't know why, but it happens. I have found mine clogged before, not anymore, it is gone. I wouldn't give one of those metal baffles to somebody I didn't like or anybody else!

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
I bought four of the red PC baffles. I have only used one on a 600Jr .410 with WC820. I have no powder migration issues with ther others.

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
Unfortunately Dave, I'm a pack rat. I inherited that from my father. :lol:

·
Registered
949 Posts
Maybe not right away, but probably later, you will start having trouble with irregular drops caused by that metal baffle. I have seen it happen too many times. I don't know why, but it happens. I have found mine clogged before, not anymore, it is gone. I wouldn't give one of those metal baffles to somebody I didn't like or anybody else!
Well now you got me scared! :shock:
I didn't know anyone had issues with them.

All I can say is I have been using them around 10 years, best I remember, maybe longer, and have not had issues yet. :(

I will watch for problems.

·
Administrator
23,334 Posts
3200 said:
Well now you got me scared! :shock:
I didn't know anyone had issues with them.

All I can say is I have been using them around 10 years, best I remember, maybe longer, and have not had issues yet. :(

I will watch for problems.
Not watch, but listen for unexplained pooter loads with the same recipe that you have been using all along. Your buddys will probably hear it better than you.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Curly-Nohair said:
Not watch, but listen for unexplained pooter loads with the same recipe that you have been using all along. Your buddys will probably hear it better than you.
THAT must be what's started going wrong with my grabber loads. I installed the metal baffle and started getting some blooper loads even with a full powder bottle. I also have the gumming, sticking problems from ball powder leaking. I am getting the red plastic baffles. I hope this fixes everything. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Junkers88 said:
Ok I've got my little 600 jr in 12 gauge and was looking at some other goodies for it. Enter the powder baffle. Is this a needed item or just another gee whiz that's neat item?
I've reloaded with no baffle, a metal baffle, and the red plastic baffle.

The red plastic baffle will always be in place on my MEC 9000!

Good shooting,
desmobob

1 - 17 of 17 Posts