Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone use the Powder Baffle on a Sizemaster? I have one that came with my used Sizemaster, but it's never been used, and I didn't know if they are any good, or not.

There is a thick brass washer with it, and I was wondering if you use the grommet between the baffle and brass washer like you would without the baffle.

Any other pointers, or tips, would be appreciated. I haven't used this reloader yet, and haven't done any reloading since 1970.

Thanks,
Otto...

·
Premium Member
3,299 Posts
ALL my reloaders have baffles. The only problem I have occasionally run into is ever so slight powder spill depending on the powder used. Seems to be cheap insurance for me to ensure I have consistent drops.

·
Registered
995 Posts
The Sizemaster has a Collet type sizer. MEC sells a Collet Lube, But I have been using Moly-Kote. You can even use Nickle Anti-sieze. Read the manual about what and where to lubricate.

I use the red PC baffel (plastic) with out the brass gromet and rubber washer. The nose of the baffel is spring loaded, so it rests against the top of the charge bar and hasen't leaked on mine for years. It did have a small burr from the molding process and the nose would not go through the frame (where you insert the gromet/washer) I simply used a fine file to trim it. Just be sure that the nose does go through the frame and will seal against the charge bar. I also had the other model (forgot the brand name) which is Alluminum. It worked well until I statred to have powder leakage and found the nose was hung up and did not seal on the bar.

Enjoy your new press. V/R TonyG

·
Registered
995 Posts
I forgot to add, that when empting the powder bottle, a few grains of powder can remain in the baffel. So remove the bottle and baffel together, then remove the baffel from the bottle and empty the baffel from both ends. Be sure it goes back in the hole in the frame to seal when you reinstall. V/R TonyG

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Tony, and SShooterZ,

I will check into the lubrication requirements before getting started. I just installed the bottle support kit. My baffle is metal, and seems to want to gall when tightening. Would it hurt to put a little grease on the threads where it screws into the measure bracket? I will install it with the brass washer and grommet to see how that goes. I still need to weigh the powder drops to make sure everything is right, and that I have the right powder bushing.

Thanks again for the input, I need it.

Otto...

·
Registered
17,955 Posts
DO NOT put grease on the threads. Use wax or silicon, maybe, but NOT GREASE. Grease where powder is located is the kiss of death. Powder and dust will stick to it like you can't believe and somehow it will migtrate into you shells and primers and cause a dud. NO GREASE!

BP

·
Registered
995 Posts
The galling could be the rough finish of the baffel. Check it out and it might need a touch up with a Jewkers File to get rid of Flash or other imperfections. I had to do touch up when I had a metal one. V/R TonyG

·
Registered
7,159 Posts
Otto CO said:
My baffle is metal, and seems to want to gall when tightening.
Nah, it's not "galling." Wheel bearings gall when they overheat; powder baffles just screw in roughly.

You have the one made by Multi-Scale Ltd. in Canada. It's made of potmetal and simply has a rough surface which meets some friction when turned against metal.

That's good, and means it won't vibrate loose during operation of the loader.

I have them on all my machines.

Correct installation: Put the brass washer in with the FLAT side down against the charge bar, then put the rubber washer that should have come with the machine on top of that.

Screw the bottle down snugly on it all.

I still need to weigh the powder drops to make sure everything is right, and that I have the right powder bushing.
Yes. Never rely on a bushing chart to be accurate. It's nothing more than a starting point to get you in the ballpark on the right bushing.

Cycle eight or 10 loads through the machine, dumping the powder back in the hopper each time, to fill the baffle and stabliize everything.

You can weigh the charges while you're doing that.

If you didn't get an owner's manual with the machine, you can download one in a PDF file here:

MEC reloaders owner manuals

Get one -- you'll need it sooner or later.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.