Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I have a PW 800 plus and switching powders due to availability.
I typically use a chainsaw sharpener and a dremmel to ream the desired size i need but my question is this. I need to take just a "hair" more out and want to do so by "finishing" the inside of the bushing to a smooth finish.
Does anyone have any tips / tricks to do so?
I'm hoping that as i slowly polish / finish the inside, i get to the desired size i need.
Thanks in advance, and if you could be as specific as possible that would help.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Take a 3-4 inch long round piece of wooden dowel or aluminum rod. Around 3/8 inch diameter works well. At one end make a saw cut about 1 inch deep. Get a 2-3 inch long strip of 1 inch wide crocus cloth or emery paper and insert this in the saw cut slot. Chuck the dowel/rod in an electric drill and use this to polish. Fairly coarse crocus cloth will remove material. Fine grade emery will just polish. Keep in mind that you are dealing with thousandths (0.001) of an inch. I do really doubt that there is any need to fine tune PW bushings. They use the same bushings as Hornady and RCBS. They are available in increments of 0.003, although they do skip some increments. With bushings every 0.003 you can usually hit any desired drop within 1-2 tenths of a grain. Mec bushings are generally about every 7 thousandths. There can be 1/2- 3/4 grains between two of them. A few years ago I made myself some Mec half size bushings in the popular size range. As close as I could come they are each half way between standard Mec bushings. Since doing this I have never felt any need to customize a bushing. I can always get within two tenths of any desired drop.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
You can get an adapter to use Mec bushings on ebay and I think I have seen them on Midway as well, works very well in my old Apex Hornady you can buy the Mec bushings on ebay or new at stores. If I enlarge a Hornady I use a small rat tail file.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
You can get adapters and it is easier to find Mec bushings and they cost less. However, switching to Mec bushings is not going to get you closer to a desired drop, unless you happen to just get lucky. The gap between Mec bushings is considerably greater than between Hornady bushings. This does NOT mean one is better or worse than the other, just a geometric fact.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.