Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

I've been looking into short / low pressure loads for my vintage double. That 24 gram data I've seen using SR 7625 seems to have the lowest pressure of anything. Does anyone have any experience with this powder?

Thanks,
QD

·
Registered
459 Posts
I use 7625 in my 1oz load. Win AA hull (old style), AA12 1-1/8 wad ( the powder is bulky and requires the 1-1/8 wad for 1 oz loads), 23.7g 7625 and a Noblesport 209 primer. I like the way it performs for me. I use it for sporting clays. Also any AA clone 1-1/8 wad works well.

·
Registered
579 Posts
My experience has been all with hunting loads.

Not 'piff-piff' loads...but 'romp-n-stomp' loads from high velocity 16's to the 12 ga. "Dirty Duck" load from BP used back in the days of lead for ducks. It was/is savage. Swept the skys clean above the swamps. I've pretty much gotten over my high school days back in the 80's when lead was being phased out. Better steel handloads and alternative shots have dried most of my tears. However...I still long for the return of the "Dirty Duck"...that load was vicious! Only "The Hammer" came close to it's performance, but that killer used 'Blue Dot'. I've tried the "Dirty Duck" as a late season pheasant load when the birds arn't cooperative and flush a bit wild...but it still blows the hell out of them.

I also use 7625 with the field "helix" wad from BP (also available elsewhere) with 1 1/4 oz of shot for 12 pheasant loads in the GM hull. Great load.

I love the powder...but use it only for field. One of the best, multi-use powders on the market and WAY under-utilized IMHO.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
No experience with 12 ga. But I have had a bad experience loading SR7625 in a 20 ga Federal hull using all Winchester components. The load was straight out of the manual. The test loads fired ok. But after carrying them around a lot hunting, powder migrated past the wad and I got a lot of bloopers. No problems with the load using the Win AA hull.

I suggest that you make sure that you use a wad designed for what ever hull you plan to use, tapered or straight wall hull.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
One of my favorite powders for light loads. It is a "fine grain" powder and there might be some migration problems, but I have not had any yet.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
It's one of my favorite powders... because a buddy sold me a 12lb. keg of it for $90. I had never heard of it before that. :wink:

It's actually very versatile and seems to burn pretty clean (not that I've ever worried much about that at all).

The IMR reloading data site has recipes for it with pressures listed.

Good shooting,
desmobob

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.