Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently tried loading 3/4oz (actually, more like 11/16oz) in the Rem Game Load hulls using the AA wad (not a clone) and Unique. I held up the hulls to a lightbulb to check for powder migration. Sure enough, there was some.

I haven't fired them yet to see how it goes. I'll be heading out in a few hours to see.

Is there a bulkeir powder out there that might be a better option which will reduce powder migration in this 20ga combo?

Or, is some migration likely to happen with whatever I use?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
I load GreenDot for my 20ga 3/4oz loads with a Winchester 20AA wad. I have no problems with that combo.

Tim

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Tim.

I fired 50 of them today without any problems. They shot well. I only wish I did too. :lol:

I guess the migration wasn't that big of a problem.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
With a Rem Hull and a AA wad you shouldn't be getting any powder migration if the wad was seated properly. Are you sure it's powder that migrated after the wad was seated and not powder that was stuck to the sides of the hull or puffed up when the wad went in. I found in the winter with the low humidity on some days I get powder that sticks to the hulls alot (static I guess). I load some Win 540 ( Hogdgon HS-6) and its about as fine as it gets and never had powder migration in the hulls with the same wad/hulls your useing.

Tim

·
Registered
5,882 Posts
I find the powder migration "problem" to be much more psychological than practical. I load a lot of AA style wads in straight hulls like Fiocchi and Federal and have had more fluctuation in velocity between guns than shells. this includes some hunting loads that have been in and out of coats for years, literally. Years back I actually counted the flakes that were above the powder cup in a translucent Fiocchi hull and then weighed out a similar number on the scale. The weight was under .1 grain which is not what I would be concerned about. Just load up with Unique and go shooting; you have already discovered the answer.

·
Registered
7,159 Posts
I use 13.4 gr. of International (MEC No. 21 bushing), the WAA20 wad and 11/16 oz. shot in either AA-HS or Game Load hulls.

I notice some powder migration in either hull but they break the targets, so it doesn't concern me.

I suspect if anyone took the time to check, he'd find powder migration in all sorts of recipe combinations.

I just don't bother.

Out of sight, out of mind.

What? Me worry?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts