Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over this coming weekend, my wife is going to attend a Women on Target event at our local club.

I looked at the guns I own, and the best candidate that I own is my Browning Gold 12 ga auto. This is by far the lightest and lightest recoiling gun I own by far. I do not own any small bore guns, and the one 20 ga I have is a light field grade o/u that will beat you up pretty bad if you hold it wrong.

The 12 Ga Browning Gold is my choice.

For my normal shooting, I shoot 7/8 oz loads at 1300 and am quite happy with them.

I was wondering, should I send her out with those loads, or should I load her something at 1200 or so instead?

Could the SGW brian trust help me here?

Thanks!

·
Administrator
23,826 Posts
kosmo said:
Over this coming weekend, my wife is going to attend a Women on Target event at our local club.

I looked at the guns I own, and the best candidate that I own is my Browning Gold 12 ga auto. This is by far the lightest and lightest recoiling gun I own by far. I do not own any small bore guns, and the one 20 ga I have is a light field grade o/u that will beat you up pretty bad if you hold it wrong.

The 12 Ga Browning Gold is my choice.

For my normal shooting, I shoot 7/8 oz loads at 1300 and am quite happy with them.

I was wondering, should I send her out with those loads, or should I load her something at 1200 or so instead?

Could the SGW brian trust help me here?

Thanks!
That load that you are using should be just fine in that Gold which is about the softest recoiling shotgun in 12 gauge out there. My wife is easily bruised and that is the combination that she uses.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Curly-Nohair said:
That load that you are using should be just fine in that Gold which is about the softest recoiling shotgun in 12 gauge out there. My wife is easily bruised and that is the combination that she uses.
Awesome. Even though I have no problems with the idea of rolling up a special load for her, it is so much easier for her to just take a dip into my regular ammo stash :)

Thanks Curly!

·
Registered
305 Posts
Although I have not patterned my 7/8 12 ga. loads(shame on me), I will attest to the fact that when I increased velocity from 1135 fps to 1250 fps several weeks ago there was a noticable increase in how well the targets broke and my scores. Ran 50 straight in skeet yesterday with these loads, which I had not done since going to 7/8. I used to avg. 23.5 on skeet over a year of shooting(1 ounce load). With the slower 7/8 loads that avg. dropped to about 21.5. Now, after about 8 rounds with the 1250 it is over 24.

Thanks for all of the insight on the tight center core with these slower 7/8 ounce loads that was covered in detail on another 7/8 post.

When I get some spare time I will pattern at least 3 of each load to see what it looks like(I know you are supposed to do at least 10, but that's just too many little holes to count for me). I will report back the results. As the old saying goes: "In God we trust - all others bring data"

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.