Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm am open to suggestions for a new powder to make 12 GA. 1 1/4 LEAD HUNTING LOADS. My currents loads include SR7625 and Blue Dot. SR 7625 has been discontinued (it was pretty expensive in my area at $27 per 1lb). Blue is much cheaper ($22 per lb), but data seems limited to heaver payloads. My 2016 Alliant Reloaders guide has only one load for the hull I am using(rem. gun club). The Lyman 5th edition is pretty sparse also. I knew Blue Dot wasn't going to be the best for 1 1/4oz. But powder got really scarce back in 2015 so I just bought what ever I could find. Blue Dot is kinda dirty also.

I'm NOT looking for specific recipes. Only opinions on powders in regards to their cost, cleanliness, cold weather performance, velocity, and general suitability to the 1 1/4 oz hunting load.

Thank you for any input.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
why dont you check the alliant website for loading data and pick a load with bluedot that might just work in the applications you want?

·
Registered
6,496 Posts
BD is IMO a little too slow for loads that light.

My particular slow (1250-ish) 1 1/4oz field load is Unique.

I don't recall what my faster one is, loaded the Unique load about 20 yrs longer.

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
cookoff013 said:
why dont you check the alliant website for loading data and pick a load with bluedot that might just work in the applications you want?
+1 to this recommendation. A quick check of the Alliant website shows about 15 recipes for Blue Dot, 1 1/4 oz. of lead and Reminton hulls. Speeds range from 1250 fps - 1350 fps and pressures ranging from 8700 psi up to a 10,300 psi. Plenty of choices here. Their website is:

http://www.alliantpowder.com

Then click on the reloaders guide.

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
Despite the name, Alliant has published some 12 gauge loads for 20/28. I have tried a couple of the 1 1/8 ounce ones listed- Worked well, clean barrel.They also include some for 1 1/4 ounce at 1250 FPS. This is a modern clean burning powder. Most of the loads listed are under 10,000 PSI. It would require sending some test loads to a lab but chances are good you could get up around 1300 FPS and be ok on pressure.

·
Registered
4,900 Posts
You might also find some loads you like that use Hodgdon's Longshot. I see they have some 5/4 oz. loads in the 1350 fps range.

·
Registered
12,859 Posts
Herco is a very good powder for those hunting loads and readily available. You might also check out HS-6

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You guys were right, there's much more data for Blue Dot 1 1/4oz loads than I thought. I should be good for this season. If I can find it I might pickup some Herco for next year.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Blue dot does NOT like cold weather with low to medium pressure loads. One needs to get it up to 10,000 psi to function well. I used the last I had for turkey loads for warmer weather. I won't buy more there are much better powders for cold weather use.

·
Registered
6,496 Posts
Yes,,,, try to run Blue Dot lightly, it burns poorly, very dirty (it's not real clean when pushed hard) and can get erratic.

I have no problem with it in my 1 3/8 ounce loads, but they are maximum efforts, 1325fps in 2 3/4". 40gr in a Federal H.P. hull.

They are dirty enough that one of my inertials starts FTGIB after a half-box.
My A5 eats them like candy and wants more.

At one time I tried it in Carbine .45 Auto loads, 10gr or so, near maximum, near 20kpsi.
It spit powder across my face every ejection.

My 1.25oz fast field load entails 30gr of Longshot. Remington Unibody hull.

·
Registered
12,859 Posts
It burns clean enough in my 3 1/2" 10 gauge 2 oz loads. It's my go to 10 ga powder

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Ranger -- I've been loading 12ga 2 3/4" 1 1/4 with Unique @ ~1220fps for quite some time. I've shot ducks (before nontoxic), pheasants, Sharpies, and medium/large upland birds with this load. Check out Alliant's reloading guide for loads. If you cant get Unique then 20/28 should perform similarly.

Here are some of my pattern numbers to give you an idea of how they perform, in my gun/chokes anyway.

Patterning results from a 12-gauge Browning Citori with 28" Invector-plus barrels using Briley flush chokes (patterns average of five, 30" post-shot scribed circle, yardage taped muzzle to target, and in-shell pellet count average of five).

12 GA 2 3/4" RELOAD (WAACF, W209, UNIQUE, WAA12F114, CB clone)
1 1/4 oz #5 lead (210 pellets) @ 1220 fps
30 YARDS / SK / pattern 145 (69%)
30 YARDS / IC / pattern 177 (84%)
40 YARDS / M / pattern 155 (74%)
40 YARDS / IM / pattern 174 (83%)
50 YARDS / IM / pattern 125 (60%)

Hope this helps, good luck.

·
Registered
17,955 Posts
I wonder how many pheasants I shot with 29 gr of Herco, Pacific Blue Verilite wads 1-1/4 oz #5 Chill in CFAAs, Blue Magic, and RXP hulls back in the '60s and '70s. I've still got several boxes of them loaded. There was no Blue Dot in those days. I loaded 3-1/4 dram 1-1/4 oz loads with Unique, and 1-1/8 oz quail loads with Red Dot and Red Verilite wads. I loaded Federal hulls with 30 gr of Herco, Red Verilite wad, 1-1/4 oz #5 Chill. A pickup load or two I'll bet!

BP

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Burnt Powder said:
I wonder how many pheasants I shot with 29 gr of Herco, Pacific Blue Verilite wads 1-1/4 oz #5 Chill in CFAAs, Blue Magic

BP
I actually have a couple hundred once and twice fired Blue Magics. Everyone I've talked with so far has fond memories of that hull. The construction reminds me of an old style win AA.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
casonet said:
It burns clean enough in my 3 1/2" 10 gauge 2 oz loads. It's my go to 10 ga powder
I sold my 10gauge last winter(NEF single-shot 27" barrel) I kinda wish I still had it. It would have been really fun to reload for.

But alas, I do very little waterfowl hunting. And I live in a state that allows rifles for spring turkey. My adventures using Trailboss in 223s and 30-06s on turkeys is a whole other topic...

·
Registered
12,991 Posts
If you are using a straight-wall hull, why not Vectan's 'A0' ? It's good for 42 grams :

I think Vectan's 'A1' might be more fitting. Cheap, readily available (from Grafs) :

U.686=Noble Sport 686
1.7 grams = 26.2 grains
35 grams = 1.235 oz (1.25oz=35.47 grams)

12S4, Fed Gold medal or Fiocchi hull, and you should be good to go.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
sage hen said:
I've switched from Blue Dot to longshot and been very happy with it for 1 1/4 oz hunting loads.
I have used Longshot for 1 1/4 ounce loads for a number of years. It works quite well.
Also I use it in heavy 16 and 20 ga loads.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts