Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Administrator
23,999 Posts
AS far as I am concerned your collet failure was extremely premature, but probably due to having been set too tight, or tighter than required for an acceptable product. That happens all the time. Did you happen to use their shell checker to set the collet?

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
I have purchased well used Sizemasters and a 9000 on E-Bay. I have no idea how many rounds were loaded before I got them. They looked well used. They still lasted longer than 13k.
However:
When I got them, the first thing I did was completely disassemble the collet, clean thoroughly, lube (with Super Web), reassemble, and adjust to produce 0.806-808 diameter shells. I repeat this every 5-10k. I have never used the Mec shell checker. You can buy a decent quality (not great, but more than adequate) dial indictator for not much more.

I have great respect for Mec and believe they build a fine machine. But, no company is perfect. There are better lubes for a collet than what they recommend and there are better ways to adjust them than the shell checker. (the checker is $14.95 at Gammies, a 6 inch dial caliper is $19.95 at Wholsale Tool, I have one, it works fine.)

Oops: make that dial caliper, not dial indicator.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I asked about the shell checker on here when I got the press a couple of years ago and everyone said don't use it so I didnt. Haven't even adjusted it. The shells looked and worked great with the loader right out of the box. A number of my shooter friends use MEC and they said the same thing. Very unusual. I called MEC to order the collet and the guy was nice to talk to so we got to talking about a 9000GN. Ended up ordering one. I don't have any reservations about MEC at all. I was just curious what others have experienced.

·
Super Moderator
9,890 Posts
ds cowboy

When that 9000 arrives on your doorstep and after unpacking it the FIRST thing you do is check the resizer dimension. MEC generally has them set way too tight. You want a finished dimension of .806 - .808.

Steve

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
If you really want to to last a long, long time, follow Curly's photo guide. Take the collet apart, flush out the lube Mec uses, and re-lube with Super Web Rock and Roll grease. This is Curly's recommended lube and it IS amazing stuff. Just google "Rock and Roll Super Web". Step 2 is exactly as Steve suggests.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The collet is set tight. .801 out of the box. I measured the Sizemaster hulls and they are .806. So to loosen the collet you turn the top ring that looks like a big nut CW when looking from the top?

·
Super Moderator
9,890 Posts
ds cowboy said:
The collet is set tight. .801 out of the box. I measured the Sizemaster hulls and they are .806. So to loosen the collet you turn the top ring that looks like a big nut CW when looking from the top?
YES at least 1 full turn is where I would start.

Steve

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.