Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about maybe getting a press to start reloading 16 gauge shells. Currently use a MEC jr for my 12 gauge trap reloads. I can't see reloading for than 150 16 gauage shells a month. Should I look at another MEC? What about that cheapo Lee thing, or is it a waste of time? Or should I just stick with factory ammo? Sporting clays is about all I'll use the 16 for (though hunting isn't out of the question), but I'd like more options than two loads (1 oz of #7.5 or #8 ) the local shops stock.

Thanks,

Michael

·
Registered
205 Posts
I would go with a single stage MEC if you were going to reload. I love my 16's I just dont put enough rounds through them. I buy a flat or two at a time and they generally last for years....

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I have a MEC jr., but I'd prefer a sizemaster. All the current production 16g hulls have steel heads, and can be a chore to resize with the jr's resizing ring.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Like pumpgun, I use a MEC Jr. but I resize with a Supersizer. And yes, it is nice to load your own 16 gauge shells. I can hardly ever find a 1 oz. load, seems like everyone puts 1 1/8 oz. in.

·
Registered
448 Posts
The "cheapo" Lee works well enough for low volume. I have one in 20 since I don't shoot my 20 gauge a lot. Once I started loading for 12 gauge, it just seemed "un-natural" to buy loaded shells in any gauge and well for some reason I had a stockpile of pristine 20 gauge STS and AA hulls I rescued from the empties barrel at my club (seemed a shame to let STS hulls go into a landfill). 16gauge wads may need need mail ordered and you may want to see who carries these and at what price as many local shops seem to carry only 12 and 20 wads.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
MEC-don't even waste time/money/effort on a lee.You need six or so boxes a month-shop used,gun shops,ebay etc for a sizemaster.The real difference between it and the 600 jr is the sizer.The sm has a collett sizer which applies even pressure to resize.The jr uses a ring sizer which is just that a steel ring to resize.Also the sm will/should be equiped with a primer feeder-a big bonus 8) :lol: Down the road if you need to upgrade, keep the single stage it will still be useful :wink: :wink: :wink:

·
Registered
153 Posts
I prefer the grabber. But then I load for volume, so the progressive has its uses. Hard to beat the MECs on the price point. But the P&W loaders (in 16 ga.) have their fans as well. Russ

·
Registered
159 Posts
For the volume you're talking about, I'd save the money and go with the Lee. People here bash the crap out of it but my old Load-All (converted to Load-All II) has loaded thousands of 12GA without much trouble. If it doesn't work out for you, or you find you really don't want the hassle of loading for that little bit of 16GA shooting you do you're only out $40 (and that includes ALL the bushings.)

·
Registered
7,159 Posts
Check eBay frequently.

Sooner than later, you'll see an auction for a 16 gauge 600 Jr., which is all you need, and you can pick it up for just a little more than you'd pay for that piece of crap Lee Load-All.

You can probably get one for about $60, including shipping.

I've loaded thousands of steel-base 12 gauge shells on a 600 jr. and can guarantee you its friction resizer works just as easily and well as the collet style on a Sizemaster.

·
Registered
17,956 Posts
I too have a LEE load All II. I've from time to time thought about getting the 16 ga conversion for it, and all of a sudden it comes back to me what I like about the Load All! Nothing! I just go out and buy 16 ga shells! If I can't load with a real press, then I'll do without!

BP

1 - 10 of 10 Posts