Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks!

Today's potential buy is a 1914 A.H. Fox Model A in 20 gauge, serial number 20045x.

It's in beautiful condition, and therefore, I'm assuming it was restored somewhere over the past 100 years. It does not appear to have a cut stock or cut barrel.

Any thoughts as to the retail value?

Thanks!
Dave

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
Hard to say without pictures, but smallbore graded Ansley H. Fox doubles have been going up exponentially. In that serial number range (which is not 1914 by the way) it should have the 2nd generation Billy Gough style engraving, Krupp Fluid Steel barrels and is right on the cusp of when they went to using the F.T. Russell style snap-on/-off forearm fastening on the forearms of extractor guns, while earlier extractor guns used the Fox & Kremmer style snap-on/-off forearm fastening. Grip style and barrel length will also play heavily into market price but probably somewhere in the $3500 to $6000 range.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Many thanks! I hope to get pictures and details later this week.

Thanks again!
Dave

Researcher01 said:
Hard to say without pictures, but smallbore graded Ansley H. Fox doubles have been going up exponentially. In that serial number range (which is not 1914 by the way) it should have the 2nd generation Billy Gough style engraving, Krupp Fluid Steel barrels and is right on the cusp of when they went to using the F.T. Russell style snap-on/-off forearm fastening on the forearms of extractor guns, while earlier extractor guns used the Fox & Kremmer style snap-on/-off forearm fastening. Grip style and barrel length will also play heavily into market price but probably somewhere in the $3500 to $6000 range.

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
Good pictures. Thanks. I'd like to see the inside of the forearm and the forearm loop on the barrels to see which style they were using at this time.

This gun is towards the end of a batch of forty-six 26-inch barrel A-Grade 20-gauges the A.H. Fox Gun Co. made for stock. The first gun in the batch had a 2 1/2 inch drop-at-heel, then as they went along the drop-at-heel increased to the last guns having 3 1/2 inch.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Researcher01 said:
Good pictures. Thanks. I'd like to see the inside of the forearm and the forearm loop on the barrels to see which style they were using at this time.

This gun is towards the end of a batch of forty-six 26-inch barrel A-Grade 20-gauges the A.H. Fox Gun Co. made for stock. The first gun in the batch had a 2 1/2 inch drop-at-heel, then as they went along the drop-at-heel increased to the last guns having 3 1/2 inch.
Thanks! Here's a quickie shot of the inside of the forearm and the underside of the barrels ...

Is that what you wanted? Hopefully, yes, because I won't have access to the gun for about a week. Then I'm going to see the owner to make an offer. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Dave

·
Registered
930 Posts
That is a beautiful Fox, but in my opinion it has been completely restored. That's not a bad thing (and it looks like a good restoration), but it affects the value. I would love to have that gun in the $3500 +/- range.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.