Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What ever happened to our bets on the price of lead in January? Who is going to be the winner? I was sure wrong! I thought it would be around $2.00. Thankfully, the price is nearing $1.00/lb. agian. Who would have thunk it? Guess it was mostly speculators, and a temporary shortage driving up the price. Hope they lost their shirts!

Sure hope to stock up when the price bottoms out again.

bd

·
Administrator
23,322 Posts
bel_dad said:
What ever happened to our bets on the price of lead in January? Who is going to be the winner? I was sure wrong! I thought it would be around $2.00. Thankfully, the price is nearing $1.00/lb. agian. Who would have thunk it? Guess it was mostly speculators, and a temporary shortage driving up the price. Hope they lost their shirts!

Sure hope to stock up when the price bottoms out again.

bd
Which one of us is smart enough to recognize the bottom or is it a pogo stick ride?

·
Registered
864 Posts
It is kind of funny. Now that the US has stopped letting the toys, with lead paint on them, to be imported, the price is dropping. Now China has to find a new use for all the lead they bought :shock:

I know most of the lead was being bought to make electronics, but I guess China must have enough now. They stopped wanting our lead, so now the price is coming back down a little :D

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
Before you get all excited about the falling price of lead, also check the supply of lead, which may be starting to fall again. If so, the price of lead can only raise as a result. A downward trend in lead prices can only stay down as long as the supply stays high.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I do not pay for lead. I have gotten somewhere around 5,000 pounds for free in the past 2 years. I get it at tire shops (wheel weights) and make my own shot.

I have a friend who pays $5 to $10 a bucket.
If they are not willing to give it to me I walk.

I have a few places that call me when they get a couple buckets.

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
wileyhunter
It is kind of funny. Now that the US has stopped letting the toys, with lead paint on them, to be imported, the price is dropping. Now China has to find a new use for all the lead they bought

I know most of the lead was being bought to make electronics, but I guess China must have enough now. They stopped wanting our lead, so now the price is coming back down a little
You are really missing the boat on China and lead. China is one of the largest producers and also users of lead in the world. The other big one is the US. China put an export tax on lead to limit the export of their lead. Don't know if that was to protect their resource of just to help drive up the price. That reduced the supply of lead and was a big factor in the low supply of lead and ultimately the higher price. They did not want our lead, they mine their own and formerly exported the excess.

The US has never allowed lead paint in childrens toys or anything else, lead in such items has been banned for many years. We just discovered the crap they were pulling and got the items recalled. There does seem to be a lot of it going on though recently.

G

·
Do you suppose the massive U.S. recalls approaching Christmas on Chinese made toys with lead or lead paint content is reactive to the Chinese manipulation of the lead market thru export tariff and subsequent tripling of the commodity price? Do you suppose the decrease in lead prices is reactive to the Chinese easying trade restrictions due to being hammered economically over their lead-laced toys?

Hmmmm?

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
I don't think effects of the "massive" recalls of toys is even measureable against the Chinese economy. And I certainly do not think that toy recalls are a reaction to the price of lead, nor have anything to do with the global price of lead. I can't see commodity dealers anywhere in the world caring one whit about lead-laced toys if they can make a bigger profit.

Yes, China has acted to keep more of their lead for their own use, but there have also been lots of problems recently with lead mines and shipping from Australia to the US that have compounded the problem and driven the prices up even more. The problems are much bigger than toys, and are probably not a conspiracy against the Chinese economy or shotgun shooters in the US, as disappointing as that seems.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Decided to take a gamble on the price of lead and bought 80 bags of Eagle Magnum at $35. Stocked up on primers, new (old stock) AA 410 hs at 75 per flat and a few kegs of powder. Christmas and birthday gift to me from me. The shot when added to my inventory on hand should see me through two cycles of inflation of prices of lead, primers, etc. So much for that set of tubes I was contemplating. Lead prices are supposed to go up on next order according to our jobber along with price of targets.
This is getting hard on a retirees budget, particularly when SWMBO wants a bathroom and kitchen update. I feel a conflict in priorities coming on. . :x

Honer

·
Administrator
23,322 Posts
thehoner said:
Decided to take a gamble on the price of lead and bought 80 bags of Eagle Magnum at $35. Stocked up on primers, new (old stock) AA 410 hs at 75 per flat and a few kegs of powder. Christmas and birthday gift to me from me. The shot when added to my inventory on hand should see me through two cycles of inflation of prices of lead, primers, etc. So much for that set of tubes I was contemplating. Lead prices are supposed to go up on next order according to our jobber along with price of targets.
This is getting hard on a retirees budget, particularly when SWMBO wants a bathroom and kitchen update. I feel a conflict in priorities coming on. . :x
Honer
Get a part time job and work on shooting day, earn money and save money on the same day :shock: Like earning three times the pay :lol:

I will leave now :wink:

G

·
80 bags. 80. Eight Zero.

Honer.

How do you feel about adult adoption? You could be my Daddy.

I have 2/3's of a bag of 9's and 3/4's of a bag of 8.5's to my name. I pet each one and say good night to them. My bride allows it's ok I do that she guesses so long as they do not say good night back.

·
Registered
992 Posts
No real problem Case. She is retired too. However, my Bass Boat sale and an estate house I am flipping are paying the tariff though the initial payment came from the joint estate. I am quitting my part-time consultant position in February and the severance will more than pay for her home improvements...or she may elect to do some sub teaching if she gets too impatient.
After 41 years of marital bliss ( :twisted: ) she will get her new kitchen and bath...just not as quickly and she can use some of her inheritance to help finance it. 80 bags was a bunch, but that was the amount to get the price to 35. Lowrance (sp) was 40 a bag and up. This too will pass. :roll:

·
Banned
30,315 Posts
Placing a bet that lead prices will stay high is sort of like betting that the price of salt will skyrocket and stay high.

I have no idea how much salt is right now, but they have plenty of it in Utah.

And we've got a whoooooole lot of lead here in Missouri. :wink:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.