Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering how much money it would be to start reloading shotgun-shells. I would like to know how much it is for a machine, powder, bb's and the other supplies. I am new at reloading so I would also like some advice on which products are best. :oops: {P^ :s

·
Registered
8,218 Posts
Lyman's 4th Edition Reloading book.......$15.00
Scales............................................$50.00
Mec 600 jr.reloader............................$120.00
Powder............................................$15-18.00 a lb.
Primers.............................................$22.00 @thousand
Wads................................................$6-7.00 @ 250
Hulls.................................................Free, if you scrounge, if bought, 4-6 cents a pc. for 12 an 20 ga.
Shot.................................................$17-23.00 @ 25 lbs.

This is just a rough figure. Some will cost more, some less. Depending where you buy, an how much you buy at a time. Reloader can be bought used on ebay for a lot less.

·
Registered
7,159 Posts
Using Don's figures and quantities, which are pretty realistic, it'll very likely cost you more to load a box of 12 or 20 gauge shells than you can buy Remington Game Loads for at Wally World ( $3.32 a box).

The only way you can beat that price for those gauges is by buying at the lowest prices in bulk -- a case (5,000) of wads and primers and powder at least one 8 lb. jug at a time.

And even that might not be economical unless you can find shot for $20 a bag (25 lbs.) or less.

It's just a hard, cold fact that buying components in small quantities from mom and pop suppliers who won't deal in bulk quantities will not save you anything.

Reloading for 28 gauge and .410 is a different matter, since those shells cost about $7 a box new.

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
Don's got it 'bout right.

If you have about $300 to start with, you should be able to get to reloading soon. Start saving your hulls now.

Save any Remington hull you shoot in 12 and 20 (Game Load, STS, Nitro 27, Gun Club). Save only the AAs by Winchester. If you see Winchester HS hulls in 28 and .410 on the ground, dive for cover and don't touch'em....the owner has likely got a bead on you with the gun they came from!! :lol:

·
Registered
8,218 Posts
Equismith Posted: If you see Winchester HS hulls in 28 and .410 on the ground, dive for cover and don't touch'em....the owner has likely got a bead on you with the gun they came from!!
You wouldn't be referring to me, now would you, Bud. :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
16,296 Posts
The cheapest that I know of look like this:

Loader----Lee Load-All--$35 (just a guess)
Hulls--------------------Free
Primers-5000 Nobel Sports.$80
Powder-Promo-8lbs------$75 (slower powders cost a little more)---try www.gibrass.com for reclaimed powders.
Wads---------------about a penny each if you buy in bulk
Shot----------(reclaimed)--$9 a bag(25lbs)

Pretty cheap shooting. You could cut a little off that by picking up used wads and using them.

·
Registered
7,159 Posts
Yep, I think that pretty well covers the two extremes.

Using driller's figures, I could probably beat the already incredibly low $2.11 a box my 12 gauge reloads cost, which is cheaper than I can load .410s. But I can't find reclaimed shot anymore.

However, I think I'd splurge and throw fiscal prudence to the wind on some brand new wads.

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
You could cut a little off that by picking up used wads and using them.
Ahhh....so there is someone else like me.....

I have about 500 or more 28ga HS wads. And I've shot numerous rounds with re-used HS wads in the 28.

They don't feed well through the wad guide though :roll:

In reloading, it is sometimes about saving pennies per shell. This is getting down to the core of that theory :lol:

·
Registered
16,296 Posts
There are a couple of companies that reclaim shot. One is in Oklahoma and another on the west coast. Both stay pretty busy. The usual procedure is for the gun club and the reclaimer to split the profits from the sale of the shot.

·
Registered
7,159 Posts
driller said:
There are a couple of companies that reclaim shot. One is in Oklahoma...
Don't I wish.

That's Gene Sears in El Reno, where there's a huge trap range, and he's never had any every time I've checked.

But I think I'll call him today and ask again. HUGE savings using reclaimed shot.

Bought a ton once in Florida for $6 a bag.

·
Registered
118 Posts
LEE LOAD-ALL II IN 12 GA. --$30.00
25LBS. OF #6 SHOT --$16.00
500 REM FIGURE-8 WADS 1 1/8OZ --$7.00
MY MUZZLE LOADING PRIMERS" WHINCHESTER 209" ,100 PER BOX --$2.99
1LB JUG OF HODGDON INTERNATIONAL POWDER --$16.00
500 ONCE FIRED REMINGTON STS 12GA HULLS --$30.00

FOR MY FIRST TIME,WHO CARES!!! {V*
SMALL INVESTMENT AND ALOT OF FUN!!
MAYBE IN THE FUTURE I'LL UPGRADE BUT FOR NOW I'M HAVING FUN!! (AND THATS WHAT ITS ALL ABOUT!!!!!)

·
Registered
240 Posts
Case said:
Yep, I think that pretty well covers the two extremes.

Using driller's figures, I could probably beat the already incredibly low $2.11 a box my 12 gauge reloads cost, which is cheaper than I can load .410s. But I can't find reclaimed shot anymore.
I took enough pellets out of a few rabbits we got this week to load one shell does that count?

·
Registered
7,159 Posts
Jersey Hunter said:
I took enough pellets out of a few rabbits we got this week to load one shell does that count?
Sure. Shoot enough bunnies and you'll salvage enough lead for a whole box of shells -- save on both lead and table fare.

It's a win-win deal.

·
Registered
995 Posts
getting started is kind of tricky. You will get all kinds of advice based on the personel likes and dislikes of the person giving the advice. Find some one who you know and trust, sit down with him and go over all this. Then decid what to do.

Go to www.trapshooters.com/calculator.htm this will help you see what your costs will be for your reloads. you can even factor in the cost of the reloader and see how many boxes it takes to pay for the loader. Best wishes in your new endever. V/R TonyG

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.