Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a used MEC .410 Sizemaster. As we know the Sizemaster does not have the MEC E-Z prime feature. My question is, has anyone found a work around to get the E-Z prime to work on a .410 or other? I can live with manually placing a primer one at a time but have a spare E-Z prime to tinker with if someone has found a fix.

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
The Priming system won't work with the .410 with the SizeMaster due to the diameter of the Wad Seating Punch not being large enough to allow primers to drop through like they do on the 28, 20, 16, 12 Gauge SizeMasters.

·
Super Moderator
7,653 Posts
Since the SizeMaster is a single stage press the wad is inserted at station 3 and has nothing to do with primer seating. But D Brown was correct in his thinking in that the primer drop tube is too large to fit inside a 410 hull and seat the primer at station 2.

The only way I am aware of using a primer feeder on a MEC 410 press is to do it with a progressive, a 650, a Grabber or a 9000.

Steve

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
You either drop a primer straight down a tube into the primer seating station and then seat the primer with that SAME tube OR you drop it down some other tube into the shell plate and then rotate the primer into the seating station. Like Steve says, a tube that will fit inside a 410 hull is not big enough to drop a primer through. If you are talking about dropping it down another tube and rotating it into position, you are talking about progressive.

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
Steve Y said:
Since the SizeMaster is a single stage press the wad is inserted at station 3 and has nothing to do with primer seating. But D Brown was correct in his thinking in that the primer drop tube is too large to fit inside a 410 hull and seat the primer at station 2.

The only way I am aware of using a primer feeder on a MEC 410 press is to do it with a progressive, a 650, a Grabber or a 9000.

Steve
Brain fade on my part. Sorry for the error. Thanks for keeping me straight. {hs#

·
Registered
12,859 Posts
I really do not find it inconvenient to place a primer with each new shell to be loaded. Sure it would be nice to have a new primer drop automatically especially if you have a spare EZ Prime, but that's a price you pay with a sizemaster. You have to supply a fresh wad by hand too. When loading .410 on my sizemaster, I just resolve myself to the fact that it's going to take a little extra time.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I am with Casonet on this one. I enjoy reloading the .410 the best. When I convert my Sizemaster over to .410, I like to take my time and enjoy what I am doing. I typically load every other gauge as soon as I shoot them, with the .410, I save them up to when I have a large amount, then I sit at the bench and load them all up.

Just resign yourself to the fact the you are not going to get the output reloading .410 then you are with any of the other gauges.

Enjoy the "self" time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts